Chapter Nineteen

As soon as the feeling of nausea passes, Hermione opens her eyes and gasps. She lets go of Draco's arm and takes a good look at her surroundings. They're standing in an isolated park. The ground is completely covered with a thick blanket of snow, the cherry blossoms are in full bloom and are covered by thousands of tiny snowflakes. There's no sign of a human nearby and that's when she remembers the other being who's with her.

"Where are we?" she asks him, too awestruck.

"Somewhere in Scotland," he replies and shoves his hands deep inside his pockets.

"It's beautiful here," she breathes as the snow begins to fall. He remains silent, watching her intently.

"Mum and dad always took me out for the first snowfall of the season," she tells him. "That's until I went to Hogwarts. Then Harry and Ron carried on with this little tradition," she turns towards him.

He lifts his hands up as if to surrender. "This isn't the first snow of the season, Granger. Don't get all sappy on me."

She laughs then, and shakes her head. "I won't."

"Good."

"......Draco?"

"Hmm?"

"Thank you," she tells him sincerely. For a moment his lips twitch into a half smile, but then he stretches them into a full smirk.

"I wonder what you're thanking me for..." he muses as he bends down and grabs a handful of snow.

Hermione, clearly understanding what he's about to do, moves away from him.

"You don't want to do that, Malfoy, trust me," she tries to warm, but squeaks when he hurls a snowball at her, hitting her on the shoulder.

"Now you watch!" she yells as she, too, grabs as much snow she can in a fist and balls it with both of her hands.

"Bring it on, Granger!" he replies and then something hard lands directly on top of her head. Melting snow dribbles down her cheeks and soaks her scarf.

"Aghh!" she screams as her warm scarf becomes ice cold. "You'll regret this, Malfoy!"

She hurls her perfect snowball at him, and groans when he dodges it easily.

"Is that all you've got?" he yells at her.

She flicks snow off her face and throws him a playful glare. Picking up more snow, she begins to launch snowball after snowball at him, catching him by surprise. Finally one lands on his neck and he lets out an 'ouch' of surprise. Hermione laughs as she takes in the sight of him.

"Time out, Granger," he calls as he begins to remove his muffler. Hermione stares at him while he's not looking, finding this whole situation to be completely bizarre but so so ideal. She watches as snow delicately falls onto Draco's shoulders, and as the snowflakes settle into his perfect blond hair and then disappear.

He looks up and smirks when he catches her openly staring at him. She's too busy gazing at the sight in front of her that she doesn't even notice when Draco looks at her- and when he bends down to grab a fistful of snow.

He walks towards her with slow, purposeful strides, and Hermione shakes her head once as she realises that she has been caught. Her cheeks turn red and her breathing quickens. Draco comes to a stop when he's directly in front of her and looks down at her.

Hermione is so entranced by his eyes that look so much like their surroundings at the moment, that she fails to notice as he brings his hand up to smack a huge snowball onto her cheek.