Chapter Thirty Three

The sun was rising amidst the thick layers of passing clouds. Hermione inhales the fresh morning air and closes her eyes.

It had been a week since that incident in the Slytherin Dormitory. A week since she'd last seen him. Ginny had called for the headmistress and Aaron Nott had been arrested for attempted murder and harassment. Draco had vanished shortly afterwards. Nobody knew where he was. The Prophet was filled with columns on Lucius Malfoy and his wealth. Nobody mentioned his only heir.

Hermione opens her eyes when the wind blows on her face. She misses him. She misses him so much.

She really doesn't know if he'd even want to see her now.

She lets out a sigh.

"Hermione!," Ginny calls from the door. "Luna is waiting for you downstairs," she informs her. Hermione runs a hand through her messy curls and nods. "I'm coming."

~

"Are you fine now?" Luna asks her, gently, as if afraid that she'd break. Hermione loathes that. "Yes, I am," she answers stiffly. "How's Theo holding up?"

"Alright, I think. He has trouble sleeping at night though because he never had dark circles before," she says in her dreamy voice.

Hermione bites her lower lip. "And Draco?" She finally manages to ask," does Theo know where he is?"

Luna gives her a friendly smile. "I was very young when I lost my mother, Hermione. And even though I didn't understand it completely back then, I still wasn't very comfortable with the idea of living without her, so I'd go to her study room and sit there for hours. I'd sometimes fall asleep there too. It became my home," she says dreamily, her blue eyes shining brightly. "I reckon Draco has found his home, too," she adds.

Hermione worries her lower lip. Draco's home...

Malfoy Manor.

"Thank you, Luna," she says gratefully. "I'm really not sure if he even wants to see me right now," she adds with a dry chuckle.

"Of course he does, Hermione. In times like these, a person needs a reason to stay alive and still look at life like life. And I think you're his reason," she says as she gets up to leave.

Hermione nods, slowly, feeling a burden on her chest, "Tell Theo I'll come to see him soon."

~

Years had passed, but this place still haunted her. In front of her stood Malfoy Manor in all its might and glory. It was a work of art, she had to agree. It'd probably fit 10 if not more of her houses in there.

A strong wind blows and she suddenly feels it. The magic. She remembers Draco vaguely telling her about the wards that keep the imposters out. She wonders if she's one of them.

She shakily lifts a hand to touch the large brass gate, expecting a magical push. But instead, her hand glides on it and she can feel the magic welcoming her. At once, the gate creaks open.

Hermione swallows and steps forward, almost waiting for an old house-elf to pop up out of nowhere and throw her out of the gates.

Another step.

Nothing happens.

She exhales shakily.

The pathway to the Manor was long; breathtakingly beautiful, but long. Hermione didn't expect to see so many different types of flowers flourishing on either side of the pathway. But then again, even she didn't know what to expect.

A sweet smell hangs in the air and Hermione takes a deep breath, smelling lavenders. Upon finally reaching the door, she thinks if she should knock.