Chapter 48- Come Go With Me

Chapter 48

Paying no mind, I walk further into the house as Michael continues to beat on the door.

"Who on earth is that? They're gonna bust the door down!" Janet says from the living room.

"It's Michael," I say shortly and indifferently while walking to the room Janet gave me.

"Michael? I knew he would come after you! How romantic," She coos.

I sigh. "I don't want him coming after me," I tell her.

"You and I both know that that's a lie. You love my brother to death."

I don't respond as I go into the room. "He needs to stop banging that darn door! I made it perfectly clear that I do not want to speak to him."

I plop down on the bed and cover my face with both my hands, hanging upside down so that my hair dangles down to the hardwood floor.

Janet comes in and sits next to me. "I think this is really cute."

"Well, I don't!" She ignores my comment, going on.

"Some men won't even come after their woman. They'll just accept the breakup."

"It looks like that's what Michael's doing," I mumble, because the banging has stopped. "He finally got the message."

"Alondra, I love you, but that's still my big brother out there. He's probably distraught without you. And you feel the same way, you're just putting on a show." She states.

I sit up slowly. "He should just move on."

"You don't mean that."

"Of course I don't! But, girl, I've been through more than enough pain to go around. Confusion on top of that won't help."

Janet gives me a hug. "I'll leave you to think." She gets up and closed the door behind her.

Hours pass as I sit there, my hand on my belly.

"My wish for you," I say quietly to my child, "is that you never have to go through this pain. Don't be like Mommy."

I glance over to the bedside alarm clock, and it reads 9:14.

"Well, the smart thing to do would be to go to sleep," I mumble, reminding myself that I have to look for a job tomorrow.

After brushing my teeth and throwing my hair into a careless bun, I lay my head down on the soft pillow.

"Goodnight my child," I sing softly and quietly as I shut my eyes.

Like anyone, it isn't a snap for me to just fall right asleep. I toss and turn, trying to find a comfortable position to have my evening rest.

Something small then hits the window. I sit up stick straight in the bed, wondering what that could be. When no action is made in the next ten seconds, I then lay back down.

Another hit. And another. This time I roll out of bed to investigate it.

I lift the window open and standing there with this head titled back to see me is Michael. I smack my forehead, trying to ignore the little skip my heart makes.

"What are you doing here?" I hiss in an annoyed whisper while another object flies up. A pebble. "And why are you chucking pebbles at the window?"

"I could explain, but I'll just show you." He calls, and then snaps his fingers.

Three men come out into view and start with low hums. Michael clears his throat and starts to sing.

"Dum, dum, dum, dum, dum, be, doobe, dum.