23

I frantically pack up the little amount of things I have used while my short stay with the pack. I am adamantly not thinking about a certain little boy who I have grown attached to and who in turn has begun to look up to me. I know that this is probably not the smartest thing to be doing when I am still building a relationship with Jacobi, and for all of the abandonment he went through when he first parents died, and then just family after family sending him away, I know I will be doing more harm to him, and that's not what I want.

I also never wanted these powers, they were thrust upon me when I was young, and now I have to live with the knowledge that I will never fit in around my own family, and now with the knowledge that there is a group of people out there that are just waiting to kill me. I can live with this knowledge, as long as i know it is going to keep others safe in the long run.

I might ruin the relationship Jacobi and i have, but in the end it is keeping so many others safe, me, my little niece, and all the other Gifted in the world who have to live in fear of what the rogues and hunters are going to do to them. I have all of the time in the world to make it up to Jacobi when I come back. Plus, I am going to make sure to call when I can and that my brothers and father take care of him when I am gone.

I know that he will be well taken care of, my family might be a little unconventional but we all do love each other.

A knock on the door is the only warning I get before Easton is barging in my room. I roll my eyes at him before zipping up my bag and walking around him and outside the now open door. I see the hallway outside him empty, but can hear the heartbeat of my family just a few halls away, no doubt listening to what is going on but not wanting to cause too much commotion.

"Noah, please just wait a fukcing second!" Easton yells as he walks over to me, matching my quick pace easily with his longer legs. The one time in my life were I really wished I had gotten more of my father's height than my mothers, than maybe i could outrun this giant.

"No, I am leaving and there is nothing you can do about. There is nothing that anyone can say to make me want to stay when I know there are people, like me and Aaliyah, out there being killed. I don't see how everyone else doesn't see this." i counter back as I continue to walk, taking sharp turns in hope of getting ahead of Easton, but sadly he always seems to be right next to me, not falling for any of my games.

"We do see the severity of this Noah, but it is stupid to just waltz in there and assume they are going to let you join. They could easily kill you on the spot and all of this would just be worthless. All we are asking for is for you to take a second and breath and let us figure out another way to do this. We all know how much this has affected you, and we know that you, out of all of us, want to find these cowards the most, but you still don't seem to understand that we also want to catch them because we don't want you hurt." Easton grabs my shoulder and pulls me to a stop. I turn around and see that I am only inches away from Easton, our noses almost touching with the short distance between us.

"We are going to get these assholes, but to do so we need you here, helping us, make a plan. We are going to get them, but we are going to do so with a well, thought out, plan. We are not going to run in there half-assed simply because you are thinking past your grief." Easton looks deep into my eyes as he speaks.

His eyes are so expressive, I remember the first time I saw them, but then they were filled with rage in how I was dishonoring my mother's funeral by talking with she-who-will-not-not-be-named. Now, there is warmth and understanding in his eyes. I know that he is right, I can feel all of the pain, the loneliness, and the fear begin to build up from where I had it hidden back behind my anger. It all hits me at once and I feel tears fill my eyes.
|
Easton's eyes widen as he see me getting progressively more upset. Also as if he has no idea what to do in this situation. Honestly if i was in his position I would be reacting the same way, but I don't really think of it as I begin to sob for the first time in a long time.

Easton wraps me into an awkward hug, that makes me choke on my sobs a little as i let out a small laugh. I hear someone coming and I burry more into Easton, not wanting whoever is coming to see me in this state.

Only, my father is the one who comes around the corner, and as soon as he sees me he walks over and pulls me into a hug. It is one of the only hugs I have gotten from my father, but it makes up for all of the times that we haven't hugged.

"I'm sorry, Noah. I'm so sorry." Father whispers into my hair as he holds me tighter. I sob a little harder and I clench onto him just as tight, feeling safe, protected, wanted, and accepted for the first time since I learned of these powers that my body posses.

I know now, that with my family by my side. They will not win. Before I thought that my powers were against me, they ruined my life. Not, these gift aren't unwanted, now they are needed, in the fight against the monsters who want to hurt me and my kind so badly.

Now, I fight back.