chapter 6

Thunder padded along, with his parents, Flower and

C-shade, with Thorn ,who would be next leader, in the lead.

Thorn stopped and turned around. "So." He meowed."what should we do?" Thunder shook his head.

He wanted Thorn to get used to giving orders, without Thunder. If he was going to be the next leader, it would come in handy.

Thorn looked flustered, and quickly replied."oh, I mean, I know what to do."

Thunder blinked slowly.

Thorn continued. "This is the border patrol, so..." He looked around." That way." He curved his tail up, over his bronze, dappled back. The sign of a leader. They walked along the borders, then, a bush rustled up ahead. The cats froze, gaze locked on the debris.

Suddenly, a golden kit, with a brown face, tail toppled out, twigs and leaves caught, in her pelt."ex...scu...use me...m m mr, can you help me?" the kitten pleaded, blue eyes round.

C shade growled, but Thorn blocked him.

"of course." He soothed."are you lost?"

The kit nodded. The kit had a green color around her neck. Thorn nodded."right, well, I need to finish patrol, but... Thunder, could you take her home?"

Thunder dipped his head."sure."

"Come on." The kit spoke."my name's Sneakers!" her stubby brown tail quivered excitedly.

Thunder turned back to Flower. He saw deep sadness in his mother's blue eyes. Thunder nuzzled her." Tell the gang my news. Thorn shall be leader."

Flower nodded. "Oh Thunder, I'll miss you. Travel safe my son. Travel safe." She blinked slowly, eyes wet with sadness.

Reluctantly, Thunder turned back to Sneakers. "What way did you come from?"

The kit pointed with her chocolate colored tail, in the direction of a twisty, brittle looking tree.

Thunder looked back over his shoulder, at the patrol that was vanishing over the hills."goodbye Swift Gang." The former leader whispered, choked with emotion."goodbye."

Then, they continued, Sneakers in the lead, she probably didn't realize it yet, but the young, female Siamese had started the journey to Thunder's true destiny.

* * * * * *

By the time Thunder and Sneakers had made it to the twisted tree, they were all worn out."Let's rest." Thunder finally suggested." It's getting dark."

Sneakers was shaking with cold."okey."

They found shelter,under a hanging branch and Thunder curled his body around the kit, for warmth.

After they had slept, night was evolving to Dawn. Purplish light made Sneakers fur shine with a pale glow. Her fur was sleek and glossy. Thunder realized. Getting to their paws, they continued through the fields.

" Where to next?" Thunder meowed, unable to help noting how he couldn't see the camp anymore." Well..." Sneakers padded forward. " um.... Oh! There. That's the red house with the golden, rooster weathervane!" Thunder was baffled."what?" Pets were smarter, at pet objects. He realized . If Thunder told one camp, they wouldn't have any idea what he was talking about! " you know, that fake golden bird in the roo...the top." Sneakers explained. Then dashed forward, forcing Thunder to follow.