chapter 25

Angel sighed. Oh Thunder, please, come home to me...

She bowed her head, her companion had been attacked by a fox and was at the vet. The thought of losing him sent a shiver down her spine.

Angel shook her head. Don't think like that!

Angel leapt off the gray chair and onto the porch, leaving the springy material in one swift motion.

A groan escaped her and her shaky legs felt too weak to carry her. Closing her blue eyes, Angel thought that she would collapse. A cat's shoulder supported her before she could fall.

Angel opened her eyes, glad of the support. The cat nudged its shoulder under hers, so Angel was able to regain balance.

"Spirit." She gasped, her vision blurry through a haze of grief.

Angel blinked to clear her sight, to come face to face with the pretty white, sleek furred she-cat with blue eyes and a gray face and tail. Spirit had brought her here and saved Branch, who was resting at the moment. Truly, Angel owed Spirit everything.

Angel dipped her trembling head.

"Th-th-thank you." She stammered.

Spirit dipped her sleek head in response. "Hush..." She murmured. "It will be okay." She soothed, voice silky.

"Thunder's a strong cat, he'll make it through, you'll see."

At first, Angel found this reassuring, then she realized....

Wait?

Angel cocked her head slightly.

How does she know Thunder?

Angel opened her jaws to speak, but broke off in a shudder.

What did it matter?

So what if Spirit knew Thunder from somewhere?

But then it struck her.

Does she have some history with Thunder?

Jealousy pricked her.

She shook her head.

No!

She thought firmly.

Thunder loves Me!

Don't be silly! They probably just grew up together or something! No need to dwell on that!

Her thoughts flew back to Spirits words.

He'll be fine, Thunders strong, he'll be okay...

She repeated it in her head, willing it to be so.

No matter how much Angel wanted to believe it, she didn't think it was true.

Sure, Thunder was strong, but foxes were huge and fierce and quick. If any cat survived a dispute with a fox, it was miraculous and lucky.

No!

She had to believe it was true, that he would find her!

Angel shook her head hopelessly.

"But what if he's not..."

She trailed off in a murmur, bowing her head.

Spirit laid her gray tail comfortingly on her back for a moment. Gazing into her eyes, Spirit murmured.

"Come with me."

Spirit led her across the grass.

Angel pricked her ears, keeping pace. She thought she'd heard something. Like a cat yowling. Very faintly, she made out the words: