Chapter 6- Examination

Chat saw the dawning horror on Marinette's face. Her eyes moved wildly as she tried to think of an excuse. "Marinette, if you could pawlease-" 

Chat didn't get to finish his sentence, as Marinette swayed from side to side, before crumpling to the floor. Chat jumped forward and caught her just before she hit the ground. 

He gently lowered Marinette onto the floor. What have I done? He remained frozen for a second; just staring at her closed lids, covering lay her beautiful bluebell eyes. Suddenly he realized what he should have done if he wasn't such a silly alley cat, and scooped her up gently into his arms, holding her bridal style with one leather-covered arm. It was like he was put under a spell; he reached out a clawed hand and gently tucked a few strands of her deep blue hair behind her ear before placing it behind her neck. He shook his head quickly, not knowing exactly what had just come over him. Then Chat jumped out of her room through the trapdoor and flew across the rooftops of Paris towards the nearest hospital.

_-()()()()-_

Chat jumped down from a lamp-post, making sure not to jolt Marinette, and walked through the revolving doors into a sterile white hospital. The elderly receptionist quickly glanced up at him and took in the situation. "Do you know why she fainted?" She asked briskly as she pressed a button, no doubt to call a doctor over.

"Uh... she just got woozy all of a sudden?"

She examined Chat from behind her tortoiseshell glasses, giving him a look that told Chat that she didn't believe him but wouldn't ask any questions. Thank goodness.  Chat sighed in relief as he heard the quick steps of a doctor approaching. A nurse followed with a stretcher. The doctor examined her with beady black eyes, which widened slightly as he glanced at her unconscious form. "Fainted?" He asked in a deep rasp.

"Yes, I brought her as quickly as I could."

"Well done, we'll take it from here. You can leave."

Chat wasn't going to let her out of his sight anytime soon. "I'll be coming with you if you don't mind."

The doctor gave Chat a once-over. "Sorry, sir, I assume you aren't immediate family, so you'll just have to wai-"

"In case you didn't realize, I'm Chat Noir, hero, savior, and generally the most pawsome person in Paris. I believe I have every right to stay with this civilian."

The doctor visibly tensed, running a hand through his short-cropped grey hair. "I suppose you can stay."

Chat smugly grinned to himself. You have got to love superhero perks. He then followed the stretcher into a small empty room where they placed a mask over her mouth.

Chat felt nothing but relief when he saw her chest rise feebly to take a breath. The doctor glances over to me. "Do you know if she has a history of fainting?"

He shook his head.

"A one-time faint is perfectly normal. She didn't need to come in, she would have been fine. However, since you don't know if she's fainted before, we'll just run a couple of tests, check her blood." He left without waiting for a reply and returned a moment later with a syringe. He left once he had her blood sample. It didn't make much sense, but he wasn't a doctor so he let the man do his job.

For 15 minutes or so, Chat hovered over Marinette, watching as her chest gradually rose higher, waiting to see if she woke up. 

_-()()()()-_

I glance at the chart in my hands. The blood sample was successful. I have the results I need. Now... I know that I didn't imagine what happened to me and my men in the alley that day. Her extremely abnormal cells confirm everything I needed to know.

A wide grin stretches across my face as a plan fits together like a puzzle in my mind. I can't help but let out a small cackle of delight. I quickly compose my face into that of a concerned doctor and walk down the fluorescent-lit corridors towards her room.

_-()()()()-_

Ringing. All Marinette could hear was ringing. She tried to move, but felt as if she was paralyzed. All she could do was lay down and listen as the harsh sound subsided, giving way to voices.

"Is she going to be okay Doc?" Adrien? Could that be the love of my life?! No, surely not...

"She should wake up any moment now. However, the blood test we took showed some... interesting results."

Blood test? Did they take my blood? They must have seen that I'm different. This is very, very, very, bad. Oh, Adrien's going to think I'm a freak!

"We would like to keep her here for examination and run a few more tests. Bone marrow, tissue samples... You shouldn't stick around."

Marinette's heart started beating faster, adrenaline running through her veins. She managed to shift herself, but since their conversation didn't pause she assumed they didn't notice.

"With all due respect sir, I'm not budging until she wakes up."

"Very well, Chat Noir. I'll be back in a few minutes. Let me know immediately if she wakes up. She might be disoriented and we will need to sedate her." Dammit, it's just that stray Chat Noir. How on Earth could I have mistaken him for Adrien?

This thought gave way to something much more sinister.

I don't believe this merde for a second. This doctor wants to take me away and experiment on me. I cannot let that happen. What would happen to my parents?

Marinette listened carefully for the fading of the doctor's footsteps and forced her eyes open. She was greeted by a relieved looking Chat Noir, who rushed over. "Are you okay, Princess? I'm so sorry if I scared you! I'm going to call the doctor and-"

"No, Chat! Whatever you do, don't call the doctor. I... I can't explain why, but I absolutely cannot be here. You need to get me out of here!" She reached up to clasp Chat's hands.

Chat looked at her. "He said you might be disoriented. You need to stay. I'm going to fetch him."

"No!"

She shrieked in frustration as Chat quickly walked down the hall, to find the doctor no doubt. Stupid Cat! Marinette sat up, swung her legs off of the bed and ignored the accompanying wave of nausea. She stood up and glanced around for an escape route. No discreet way out.  Marinette strode into the hallway, limping straight past nurses asking questions. I'm not wearing a gown, so they can't confirm i'm a patient. Just walk walk walk walk walk-

 At last, she found reception and ignored everyone, striding straight out of the revolving door. Freedom!

She ignored the fading dizziness and tried to run, but a searing wave of pain quickly reminded Marinette of her still very broken leg. Dammit.

 Shouts sounded from where Marinette assumed her room to have been. She smiled to herself and walked away. Paris is a big city. The chance of them finding me? Minimal. This thought soothed her as she walked away, towards home.

Of course, she didn't take Chat Noir into account.

A/N:

Hi chickies! This long chapter is to make up for that short one I gave you last time! I hope all the POV's weren't too difficult to keep up with! I've tried to be as consistent as I can with tense, but third person makes things difficult. Now that I'm in the summer holidays, I have a lot more time to write and plan (I'm actually planning the story now guys! Woohoo!), so hopefully I can churn out a few more chapters. I'm not on a schedule though, and I cannot promise regular updates. I love every one of you so much! Don't forget to comment your ideas and thoughts, or vote! It means to much :)

xoxo