1|| Nightmares again!!

There are many who don't wish to sleep for fear of nightmares. Sadly, there are many who don't wish to wake for the same fear.

― Richelle Goodrich

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'Nooo...noo...please!! Mommy'!

I woke up after having the same nightmare for the past two and a half years, pillow drenched in sweat as usual.

I tried to calm my rapid heartbeat by breathing in and out, but I'd grown accustomed to this, I might as well say it had become second nature.

"Knock knock!" Dad said while lightly knocking on my bedroom door breaking the silence that had enveloped me, I turned to face the door where the knock emanated from.

"Come in!" I said in a low husky voice waiting for him to enter. My door opened, Ice-cream in hand crept in through the opening and a smile automatically found its way to my lips. Knowing that Dad actually bought my favorite ice cream: chocolate and vanilla flavor with Oreos as the final topping made my mood slightly brighten up.

I looked up to my Dad and saw a sad expression etched on his face; instantly knowing that he heard my screams yet again.

Part of me felt like he still blamed himself for what had happened to mom because he wasn't there to protect her when the incident happened. I knew he would take mom's place in a heartbeat, that's how much he loved her.

"I brought ice-cream. Want to eat it now?" Dad asked while getting closer to my bed and sitting beside me holding up two spoons and handing one to me.

The thought of ice cream made me forget what was going through my mind, and a smile reappeared on my face to acknowledge his presence.

"You had the same dream again, didn't you?" He asked after a few minutes and my smile instantly vanished as he moved his hands to scoop a piece of the ice cream. The dream came back again, the only difference was that my eyes were open and it was so vivid, I felt like I was reliving the same day over again, without realizing it a tear fell to my hand that was rested on my lap.

 The dream came back again, the only difference was that my eyes were open and it was so vivid, I felt like I was reliving the same day over again, without realizing it a tear fell to my hand that was rested on my lap

Dad moved closer and embraced me. I couldn't hold it anymore, I wailed until my eyes felt dry but my heart still bled knowing that my mom was never coming back and the culprits were still out there loose.

I moved away from him and wiped away the remaining tears that were threatening to fall with my free hand before speaking, "I-i can't seem to forget, every time I close my eyes I see her pained expression etched on her face, it should have been me, not her but me, I blame myself every day for what happened, if only I had kept quiet and let them do what they wanted without alerting mom she would still be alive. I know she was just trying to protect me, I tried to help out but I wasn't strong enough, if only---"