Chapter 2

Chapter 2

   How? That phrase that guy said repeated in my mind, pestering me until I gave up. How can I? I don't even remember when I met Erik for the first time. It seemed like he was always there from the beginning... but I wasn't born here so how could that be possible? This man is helping me and I could give no answer...

   "We could just sit on the branch and say hi? I didn't really do anything to have Erik help me; I mean I don't think so..." I trailed off, mentally slapping my head. Sit on the branch and say hi? That was the stupidest answer you've given to anyone. But then I got a swarm of guilt grasping and releasing in my stomach after realizing that Erik was still dead. This man killed Erik and I couldn't do anything about it. He killed another titan, even worse, in front of my eyes, and I did nothing about it. Titans were my friends, weren't they? Shaking my head, I decided to think about something else for now and deal with this later. Maybe annoying this rude man would ease the death off my shoulders.

   "Tch. If it was that easy, none of our men would've died by now. Does that idiot brain of yours give any well-thought out answers? And I actually thought you could've done something," he muttered, whispering that last part to himself.

   I sighed, I wasn't going anywhere with this man. After giving out the exaggerated long sigh and rolling my eyes, he glared at me. Well I guess it couldn't help to know something about him.

   "What's your name, shortie?" I retorted back with my head and voice raised with my hands on my hips. I even decided to secretly go on my tippy-toes and tried to look as mighty as possible.

   "Who're you calling shortie? The only shortie I see here is this girl on her toes trying to look taller when I'm taller," he calmly sassed back with a hint of annoyance laced with every word. How can he still look intimidating when he's using such bad sass lines that somehow work?

   Looking down at his boots, a smile slowly crept on my face. "I bet your boots make you taller. Take them off and I'll be taller! You still haven't answered my question you know," I reminded him.

   "My boots aren't that tall anyway so keep on dreaming about growing. My name is Levi and call me heichou. Next time, I'll only respond with the correct way to call your higher ranks," he corrected.

   "Levi? Levi. Levi! Leeeviiiii. Levi! Levi?" I pleaded. He really was serious when he said that?

   "Heichou, my name is..." I trailed off. How could I not know my own name? That's right, in the forest there was no one to call me that. I mean it's not like Erik was going to call me by my name. Another punch landed in my gut. Isn't there anything else to think about besides Erik? "I don't remember. I-in the forest, no one was there to give or call me by my name. I don't remember my parents, my name, or even my age. What should I do? I guess I'm just a rogue living out here with my titans... No one could ever accept me or love me in your civilization, could they? They'll probably see me as a threat. I bet my parents don't even love me or even remember me." I stopped in my tracks, just a little behind Levi. My bangs hovered over my eyes as I tried not to cry. "You can go without me. I'll just be a burden to you. Remember what you said? You don't want to travel with brats as dirty as me. Funny how I remembered that, right? Well, bye. I'll just die a useless life here in my forest," I lamented with tears starting to come out of their cove and dropping on my feet. That last sentence seemed to trigger something in Levi because he suddenly grabbed my hands and looked firmly into my eyes.

   "No one's life is useless. I hate it when people die with no cause. You will be accepted in the walls and you're already accepted by me," he comforted with a burning determination in his eyes.