Chapter 4

Chapter 4

   "Snap out of it."

   I was still pondering on that incident with the 3D Maneuver Gear because I knew... I just knew that I was here before. I know that I was here before but the real question is when?

   "Lukas, was I here before inside the walls?" I asked with innocent eyes.

   He looked startled to hear my question as if the answer was already obvious. Laughing nervously, he responded, "Well, if you were living outside the walls, you couldn't have come here before. If you really want to know, we can see all the soldiers' documents, with heichou's permission, of course."

   Turning to Levi, I questioned, "Can we go check the soldier's documents, heichou?"

   "Tch, do whatever you want, brats. I'll go tell Erwin while you guys go."

   Lukas, let's go!" I cheered, fist pumping the air with a gleeful laugh.

~*~

   "There's nothing interesting here," I complained with my head being supported by my hand as I continuously flipped through the papers. The documents were just a quick sketch of the person, their names, some information about their family and where they were from, what Trainees Squad they were from and a couple other things. Many of the faces and information were similar and boring. I wanted to skip all of them and only look at a few but I couldn't miss any one. Sighing, I started to check a new stack of documents, only glancing at the sketches this time. What could I do to make this more interesting... hmm. Ah hah!

   "He's ugly, she has a weird hairstyle, why does he have facial hair, he's bald, she has fat lips, you have squinty eyes like Levi, he has extreme eyebrows, and... what's this?" I came across a picture of a man with short hair and a calm expression. Something about this man... intrigues me. Reading his information, I found out that he was dead. Nothing else was written about him other than his name which was Arthur with no last name.

   "You're attracted to Arthur, are you?" Lukas joked with a sad smile. While pouting, I crossed my arms and looked away.

   "Let me tell you a little something. Arthur was one of my only friends during training. He was mysterious, shy, but opened up to me. I remember him saying that he had an abusive father at home but he didn't tell me anything else. It was weird because even though he was talented and skilled, he got grabbed by a titan in the first expedition outside the walls we had. He was almost better than anyone else, but he did everything to not get himself noticed. I guess he was too modest," Lukas recalled.

   "Oh... I'm sorry. Well then, let's go and eat. I'm done looking," I suggested with Lukas just nodding. I felt guilty for making him upset but he comforted me by saying, "Don't worry, I'm over it."

~*~

   The food was simple, just some bread and soup with a cup of water. Everyone seemed to stray away from me, trying to be as far away from me as possible. Some looked at me with scared faces, some with hatred, and a small group with sympathy in their eyes. I don't mind because if I were in their shoes right now, I would probably be afraid of a person who claims to have eaten humans - Coughing, I remembered things I probably shouldn't have. No, don't think about it. You're human just like everyone else here, with a normal life.

   "Are you okay?" A girl with dark maroon hair with shades of brown in a short ponytail approached me with concern.

   Giving out my best smile, I answered, "Thanks. What's your name? You're the first person to have approached me so far in here." Lukas had to do an errand with Levi so he left early.