Chapter 19

Chapter 19

   “I – it’s my father,” I stuttered nervously, daring not to take my eyes off of him since I didn’t know what he would do.

   Levi’s eyes widened a bit and then he asked, “Is your father someone you wouldn’t want to see?”

   I hesitated to tell him everything about my past and my father. Deep inside, I wanted to tell him everything and have it lift off of my shoulders but I wasn’t sure if he was going to tell anyone else. I even told Armin that I would be better off not telling him but I guess it’s okay to take it back now…

   “I’ll tell you everything. I’ll tell you about my past and about… him,” I explained, telling him every detail. As I was explaining, I kept an eye on my father but he didn’t move. He simply stood there, with his back now against me. It was as if he was trying to blend in with the field that was shrouded in darkness.

   After I was done, Levi took a moment to comprehend everything, for I’m sure it would be a lot to take in for anyone. He then whispered, “I’ll go talk to him.”

   Levi abruptly stood up, leaving me on the grass and started advancing towards him. My father turned around and made eye contact with Levi and they both stood there. I think Levi found a resemblance in my father with another person since he had mentioned someone named Kenny. A breeze came, waving my father’s long coat and pushing his hat to the floor. The grass rustled in the breeze, swaying in unison. Levi finally decided to walk towards him and it almost seemed like my father couldn’t care and expected him.

   “Wait!” Levi glanced back at me. “Let me go with you,” I requested, standing up. I was ready to defy my father and get rid of him. I was tired of following his orders years ago. And yet I am still following them, listening to that letter.

   We both walked towards my father and the air tensed. While we were getting closer, my father seemed to ignore us by picking up his fallen hat and looking at the sky. When we were a few ways in front of him, Levi interrogated in a commanding voice, “What are you doing here?”

   My father took notice of us and mused in amusement when he saw me. He replied, “Is it wrong to meet my daughter?”

   “I doubt that’s your true reason for coming here,” I stepped in, narrowing my eyes.

   “Why, my daughter’s all grown up! I see you ended up in the Survey Corps again,” he hummed.

   “You didn’t take care of me at all! You don’t have any right to say that I’m your daughter anymore. How can you still say that when you didn’t even name me? You always say ‘my daughter’ and never called me anything? The only time I received a name was when I entered the Survey Corps as Arthur,” I retorted.

   “Now, who was it that fed you and raised you? I could have easily thrown you into the street and leave you with nothing. But I decided, as a father, that you have some purpose and I should take care of you. Besides, you never complained before so I assumed that you were fine with it,” he said.

   “You thought I was fine with it? If I complained, you would hit me and then pretend that I was precious to you! Did you not think that I would figure out that those words were all an act?” I yelled.

   “Now, my daughter, you are someone who should be disciplined. You are someone who carries out my orders and lives in my house. Names don’t matter if you are only kept for this purpose. True feelings don’t matter if you are nothing to me besides a servant. Yes, that’s it! You are a slave. You still have that inside of you, seeing that you followed that letter. Why else would you be out here? Also, isn’t it true that my experiments helped you live in those titan attacks until now? You are still alive because of me. If you wish to not accept my guidance, then you can run off and die from those titans,” my father declared.