Chapter 20

Chapter 20

   “He…. He’s going to be able to see again, right? He should be able to regenerate his eyes,” I desperately pointed out, referring to Eren. I frantically glanced at everyone while their heads were drooping and the air became heavy.

   Hanji searched for an answer until she muttered under her breath, “I believe so. He should be able to see soon unless that titan attack was too much for him. It might’ve been overwhelming in the number of titans and the amount of energy he used. Maybe in a day or two.”

   That answer wasn’t enough for me. I knew that we were close; I could almost feel the wind from the outside. We were so close to breaking free from our cage and explore the unknown. Who knows? Maybe we’ll discover something outside that’ll help against the titans. I might die out there but I want to die knowing that I’ve seen and been in the outside world. Eren wanted to see the outside world and now was his chance. Would he actually be able to see? I clenched my fist and screeched, “What do you mean in a day or two? Aren’t we close to the outside world? At this point, Eren can’t even transform anymore until he recovers. By the amount of soldiers, we’re all dead if another group of titans attack! We’re stuck here and the most we can do is experience the outside world now. What about Eren? If we do make it outside, he might not be able to see anything at all!”

   No one dared to say anything and only our breaths were exchanged while we surrounded Eren. He was still unconscious, oblivious to anything we were saying. After staring at his peaceful face, I wondered if it was better for him not to know anything. No! What am I thinking? Eren has to see everything beyond the walls. More soldiers approached the group and surprisingly there were no titans approaching. It was eerie and silent and we all knew that if more titans come, we would all probably be destined to die here. Although it was an obscure thought of mine, I thought that maybe my father was doing this as well. Maybe he was letting us have our heartwarming moment while we all reunite after being ambushed by titans and then when we feel safe, he would attack.

   In the end, it was decided that we would continue. We had nothing to lose anymore; we could just keep fighting or die not trying at all. It was a hopeless situation, we made it far past Wall Rose but no one knew if any of us would make it back alive. The way back to Wall Rose was simply repeating our trip which meant that it’s likely to meet more titan hordes.

   As I neared the fallen houses, I felt a rush of excitement. We were so close now. After we make it past these houses, we could see the flaming water, land made of ice, and fields of sand spread across the land. We could see everything that was mentioned in that book Armin showed to Eren. I regret not exploring outside of the forest when I lived out there. When I was still friends with the titans…

   “Two titans approaching from the left!” a soldier announced. No one was using flares anymore for they were useless. All of the remaining soldiers were just grouped together. If we were separated in the formation, there would be lots of missing positions and people would die easier alone. Also, we were entering the ruins of Wall Maria now so there would be plenty of houses to maneuver on. It would be hard to avoid the titans with fallen houses.

   “Soldiers closest to the titans, attack them!” Commander Erwin shouted, still looking straight ahead. The group of soldiers included Jean, Mikasa, Darion, and Reive. They were all excellent soldiers so they killed the titans with no casualties. The titans fell onto houses, completely destroying the remains and creating a pile of rubble and ash.

   “Three titans approaching from the right – ”

   “Two titans from the back!”

   “A titan coming from the left!”