Chapter 17

Chapter 17

   Today was the day of the expedition. Everyone was already right behind the looming gate on their horses. I was positioned near the front with Commander Erwin and Levi since Erik and Lukas weren’t here yet. However, while I was waiting, I overheard some soldiers’ comments about the expedition.

   “Why are we on an expedition? I was supposed to have a break and be with my family right now.”

   “I heard that we’re going to go outside Wall Maria.”

   “That’s crazy! We can’t even get through Wall Maria.”

   “Hey, you see that girl right there? She’s the one who recommended this. I don’t know why they’re listening to her. Why is she so special?”

   “Wasn’t she the girl who was found outside the walls? Maybe she hates us and is trying to kill us all.”

   “She’s so selfish. Look at her! It’s almost like she’s excited for the expedition. She’s excited for us to die.”

   The comments started clashing into each other, turning into a chorus of insults. My mood was instantly ruined and my mind was clouded with contradicting thoughts. Why am I doing this? Papa always used to lie to me so why am I listening to him now? What if there’s nothing out there? My head drooped down, staring at my horse while I was deep in thought. Guilt started gnawing on my conscience, the burden growing in weight.

   I was snapped out of my thoughts when I felt a hand clamp down on my shoulder. Glancing up, I saw a smiling Erik as he happily babbled, “Why’re so gloomy? Today’s the day of the expedition or should I say the beginning of your adventure in search of… something (according to the letter). Cheer up! Maybe this will help! I brought you the future – ”

   “Don’t even,” I interrupted, thinking that he was going to mention love again. Peering over Erik’s shoulder, I saw Lukas and some other people. They weaved through the soldiers and appeared on my other side, opposite to where Erik was. There was a rather petite looking girl with dark brown hair fixed into a bun kindly staring at me while a tall guy with shaggy blonde hair appeared behind her. Lukas gestured towards them and the girl piped, “Hello! I heard your name was Ria? I’m Reive and I’m part of Lukas’s squad! Recently, we haven’t worked together in a squad because of the whole situation with you. I’m looking forward to working with you!”

   “I’m glad to work with you too,” I said.

   Reive nudged the tall guy to speak but he just looked to the side, avoiding me. Then, she whispered something or more like threatened him and then he finally looked at me, saying, “I’m Darion. You better get yourself together for this expedition because I don’t babysit people like you. Oh, and I’m not looking forward to working with beginners like you.”

   I instinctively blurted out, “Well, those are some bad sass lines. Well you better like to work with me because this expedition is centered around me. Nice to meet you, too.”

   Suddenly, the ground roared as the gate lifted up. Once the gate was fully open, Commander Erwin led us out of the walls. After all the soldiers were out and we were a certain distance from the gate, we started splitting up into our positions. Unlike last time, I wasn’t with Lukas but was with his squad. Erik was helping Commander Erwin with his hearing and Lukas and Levi were by Eren. I was positioned at the rear end at the left side and Darion and Reive were only a few ways from me.

   My senses sharpened, being alarmed at the slightest movement or sound like birds flying or leaves rustling. I continued to move while gazing at the scenery: the rubble from houses and a couple of trees. Reive started to ride towards me until she was right next to me and asked, “What’s this ‘thing’ you’re looking for outside the walls?”