Chapter 14

Chapter 14

"Will this plan really work?" I asked while impatiently standing in the tunnel.

"It's fine; just trust Eren, Mikasa, and Armin to bring Annie, the female titan, here," Lukas reassured, gesturing towards the staircase up back to the surface.

"That's right! Listen to your boyfr - I mean Squad Leader Lukas here. I'm sure Eren and the others are fine. We just have to wait and do our job!" Erik mentioned with a giant smile and a thumbs up. How happy can this kid get?

"Fine..." I pouted just sitting down in the dimly lit tunnel.
~*~

I quietly listened to the conversation on the staircase as I anticipated the moment the female titan would be captured. She won't come down into the tunnel?

"But... This is where my bet begins!"

Erik took my hand and Lukas's hand as he dashed down the tunnel as fast as he could. A little after that, lightning struck. The ground rumbled, and the noise echoed. Some pieces of rock were already collapsing from the roof of the tunnel and the torches fell out. I almost fell but Lukas saved me as we continued to sprint down. What was going on? Did the plan fail? Did she turn into the female titan already? Behind us, a foot came crashing down and left that part of the tunnel into ruins. I looked back in terror and horror since people were getting crushed one by one. Where were Eren, Mikasa, and Armin? Did they get crushed?

"This way!" Erik directed out of desperation, turning through a random corner in this labyrinth. Once we were across the turn, there was an opening. We ran to that opening and inside there was a room. I gasped for breath as I scanned the room, spotting a familiar charm on the wooden desk. The rest of the room had nothing, just a wooden table in the middle with a charm and a shot. My head throbbed as I started at the contents of the room. I know this place... This place is where -

"This... t-this is t-the," Erik started as he trembled and shook his head in denial. He stepped forward and gently picked up the charm. It was carved from wood and it was a tiny wooden circle with the moon and stars carved into it. There was a hole at the top so a piece of leather strapped around it. Erik held it from the leather part as he stared with awe at it.

"Ria, this is the charm I carved for you. Do you... remember?" Erik questioned. Do you remember? Do you remember? Suddenly, Clara's voice ringed in my head in unison with Erik's voice. Do you remember? Do you remember...

~*~

"Papa! Stop it!" I screamed as he injected a shot in my arm.

"My daughter, be quiet. Be obedient like your brother. Next time, I want you to do this - " Papa started to say in his usual strict, monotone voice as he showed me a piece of paper.

"No!" Tears formed at the corners of my eyes. I don't want to... No one should get hurt anymore. I don't want to get hurt.

I whimpered as he kicked me and started abusing me. I was thrown out of the room and my brother, Erik approached me.

"Did he hurt you again? I think we should just pretend for Papa," Erik said, concerned.

"I've been trying to listen! But I can't do anything... I can't do anything after Clara got involved in this. Now she's going to suffer as much as me," I sobbed, hiccupping after every few words.

"It's okay. One day this will all end. Look! Look at the moon and the stars. One day you'll be like them, free from everything. Maybe one day you'll be up there too. One day everything will be peaceful. One day there won't be any titans. One day Papa will love us. One day..." Erik whispered softly as he gazed into the starry sky.