Beginning

October 19th, 2020

8:15 a.m.

"Nice day isn't it?"
Alessandra sat across from me at her wooden desk in the police department, looking through a bright red file with a stamped label I couldn't read because her hand was covering it.
Probably a case, I thought.
The office that we shared was small and square with plain white walls. A single desk was on the left side from entering the door. It was a big desk where Alessandra did most/all of the filing work. She would probably decapitate me if I even thought about sitting in her cushioned spinning chair. A giant window took up the wall opposite the door. But the thing that stood out about this room was the giant file cabinets that were on the wall opposite her desk. They were giant metal gray filing cabinets that stood floor to ceiling and were full of cases that Alessandra and I had solved and needed to solve. Don't ask me how she organizes that thing. I have no clue.
Her light gray eyes flicked back and forth as she read the paper inside the red file.
I've never seen that file before. She didn't look up from it, so I tried again to start a conversation.
"Another case? We could use one of those. I mean it's not like we've got a whole bunch of unsolved ones right here-" I was just messing with her but I guess she wasn't in the mood for a joke.
"Seth, what are you doing?" she said annoyed as she looked up, brushing a piece of her short brown hair from her face. "I know we have a lot to do but I don't think we can turn this case down. Get ready to go, this one came with a lead." She said standing up. "I could also use a coffee while we're out."
"But this is a case, we don't have time to stop for-"
"Relax." She said stepping out from behind her desk and folding her arms. She was wearing dark jeans and a black leather jacket with a plain purple shirt. "I don't think anyone else here can solve this case so they have to give it to us, and besides this will be easy. We can get some coffee to go and we'll be fine Seth." She grabbed her worn brown bag from the back of her cushioned spinny chair and stuffed the file inside. "Come on, it'll be fun!" and with that, she slung her bag over her shoulder and walked out of the office leaving me no choice but to follow.

Well, I guess I should tell you now, my name is Seth and I am an assistant detective at the Police Department. I've been working here, with Alessandra, for about three years now. I bet you're wondering how I, being as amazing as I am, ended up as an assistant instead of the real deal. Well, I guess my boss doesn't think I'm ready to handle everything on my own. But that's fine as long as I keep an eye on Alessandra, and not in a creepy way. It's complicated. And no, if you were going to ask, I do not like her or anything like that. That would be weird and unprofessional. So if you're wondering yes I am still single and ready to be awkward at any type of social gathering. But more on me later let's get back to the morning before everything went wrong.
Yeah, I know you're thinking, 'Seth, what could possibly go wrong? This just seems like a normal day!' well I thought the same thing, and if I've learned anything from movies it's that you never ever under any circumstances ever ask, 'what could possibly go wrong?'
You only make that mistake once.