3:47 p.m.

"We don't really have time to investigate the crime scene before our shift ends but we'll take a quick look anyway," Alessandra said after we left the restaurant. Together we walked down the street, Alessandra leading the way, to the crime scene that we needed to investigate. Luckily it wasn't too far away so we still had some time to look it over. Once we got there she handed me the red file and opened the door. What was inside shocked me more than anything the file could've contained. Randall was standing inside with his team of investigators, who were all busy scanning some piece of evidence, looking smug.

Now Randall is like the jerk-face of our Department. You'd think after high school there were no more bullies, but nope. Sadly there are always stupid people waiting to ruin your day. He's tried to take credit for so many of our cases it's not even funny! And he always is blaming Alessandra for some sort of stupid thing like 'stealing' his car keys when they turn out to be under his desk. Honestly, he needs to find a hobby because without one he's just annoying. Well, his personality aside let's get down to his appearance. Randall always wears basically the same outfit to work, an expensive looking suit and tie with nice shoes. He was about me and Alessandra's age, mid-twenties, with greased back black hair and a long pointed nose that was crooked slightly to the right. He was tall and skinny, like a well-dressed telephone poll.
"Oh Seth, Alessandra! What a pleasant surprise!" he said spreading his arms graciously.
"What are you doing here Randall? This was me and Seth's case, not yours." Alessandra said coldly, crossing her arms.
"When you didn't show up at the scene this morning and then you were caught in that explosion," he looked at us with fake pity. "The boss decided to give me the case. As you know this is a very important one to the boss."
"Yeah and how far have you gotten exactly? Let me guess a dead end and you want me to solve it and let you take the credit, as usual." Alessandra said making sure to use the iciest tone possible.
"No actually. I have this one almost solved to bad for you. You two can leave now." he said showing us the door that was directly behind us.
"So which is it then?" I asked pushing his hand out of the way.
"Sorry?" Randall asked, confused.
"What was the cause of death?" I asked testily.
"This is no longer your case, Seth, so I don't have to tell you," Randall said coldly.
"You don't know do you?" Alessandra stated, amused. "You want to prove yourself by solving one of the most difficult cases without help from any other detectives."
Randall tried his best to hide it but he knew it was true, and he knew that we knew it was true. "You are free to leave," he said sharply, opening the door.
"Good. Then I guess you have this case covered." Alessandra stepping out the door into the cool October air. I was about to follow when Randall he'd his hand out infant of me, blocking the door.
"You won't be needing that file anymore, will you now," he said reaching for the red file I was holding in my hand. I looked at him, annoyed. Something about his eyes wasn't right. They weren't like his normal brown eyes, there was something . . . different.
I snatched it away, "I think I'll keep it. Just in case, you know, you can't solve it on your own. Like usual." and then I walked out the door with the file before Randall could stop me.

Once we were outside I grabbed Alessandra's wrist and pulled her into a deserted alley.
"Seth what the-" she started to say.
"Listen to me. Something's wrong with Randall. I could see it in his eyes." I said. There was something about them that made me uneasy. But it also seemed familiar.
"I know. Something's always been wrong with Randall. He's annoying yeah but-"
"No, something's really wrong with him. Like, I don't know how to explain but I just know."
"Seth what's going on?" she asked, a trace of accusation in her tone.
"Ok, this is going to sound crazy but . . . "
"Try me," she said stubbornly
"I don't know. I think- I think he might be being mind controlled."
"Seth that's crazy! You're being paranoid! It's just regular old, annoying Randall."
"No, Alice, you don't understand. I saw it in his eyes. Something wasn't right."
She was silent for a moment and I thought she wasn't going to believe me or maybe punch me for calling her Alice but then she looked at me intently.
"So what are we gonna do?"
"We have to tell the Council."

After we got the car from the Police Department and told the boss that we were done for the day, I floored it to get to the Council HQ. Traffic was a pain in the neck but as we sat it gave us time to talk about Randall.
"Are you absolutely sure that he's being mind controlled?" Alessandra asked.
"Yes, I'm positive. I know what mind control looks like. Sometimes it's harder to spot, but this was defiantly it."
She shook her head in disbelief. "All this time and you're just noticing now?"
"I don't think he's been this whole time we've known him. Just today at least."
"So why didn't you take him in? Can't you, like, arrest people for the Council or something?"
"I told you. I'm not a hero so I don't have the clearance to take him in."
"But-" she started.
"I don't agree with it either but it's the rule. That and they don't trust me, remember? Because of my dad, the mind control guy."
"So can there only be one person which each power? Like only one mind control guy, only one fire guy?"
"Well, I don't know. I would guess so."
"So we might not be after your dad?"
I didn't answer. We were almost there.

We were just getting through security when the guards came. Two of them. Each of them grabbed one of my arms and started forcing me into the atrium and down one of the hallways.
"What's going on?" I asked in disbelief. "What's happening? Let me go!" I struggled against their grip but there was nothing I could do. "Put me down! I haven't done anything wrong!"
Alessandra got past security and started running after me and the guards that dragged me along.
"Put him down! We were coming here to warn you! There is a guy out there being mind controlled!" Alessandra yelled at them but they ignored her until they reached a door at the end of the hallway and went inside, still dragging, leaving Alessandra out there all alone in the atrium.