10:40 a.m.

"Welcome to the Council HQ," I said grandly as we walked in the entrance. Before we got this far we had to go underground and get through the HQ security. That can be a pain. But now that we're here, "this is where all the heroes come when they get missions and get ready for their missions."

"Who decides the missions? Wait let me guess, the Council." Alessandra said as I led her to the Council chamber. The main atrium was a giant cavern-sized room painted white with marble columns and sleek marble floors. I led her through the atrium and into one of the many hallways that branch off from it.
"Bingo," I said.
"How does the Council know we're coming?" Alessandra asked. She didn't seem to afraid of this new world I had forced her into so quickly. She also didn't seem to have trouble comprehending everything. I guess this is why she's meant to be a hero.
"I checked in at the desk when we went through security. Is that your last question because the Council is probably going to explain everything to you."

"Alessandra is it?" The Council chamber was almost as big as the main atrium but it was filled with seats for the Council at the back of the room. The Council seats stood taller than all the others. In the middle of the room, a single chair where Alessandra sat facing the Council and behind her were the benches for the audience, which were empty except for me.
The woman who had just spoken was sitting in the middle of the Council members. There are three Council members. The first one was all the way to the left was a girl, about thirteen but don't let her appearance fool you, see's a shape shifter. She had long black hair that flowed to her waist, piercing ice blue eyes, and she was wearing a white blouse with a long black skirt. Her feet dangled off the edge of the chair and when I looked at her feet, she wasn't wearing any shoes. Her name is Olivia Stephenson.
The person on the very right was a man with dark skin and coffee brown eyes. He was wearing jeans and a dark green shirt that showed off his muscles. This guy could control and manipulate water, a very dangerous thing, his name is Liam Williamson.
Lastly, the woman in the middle was also middle-aged and had blonde hair pulled into a tight bun. She was wearing an expensive looking gray pantsuit and had thin wired glasses perched on her nose. This woman's powers are telekinesis and she can fly. Her name is Mia Sterlings.
"Yes," Alessandra said from her chair.
"The Council will review your heroism and see if you're worthy." said the woman in the middle, as she adjusted her glasses and looked at the file she was holding. She passed the file around to the other two members and then reached out her hand. A tablet flew into her hand and she started looking at it. Once she was satisfied with what she saw she passed the tablet to the other two Council members who looked it over and handed her back the file.
"So," began Mia Sterlings. Her voice was business-like and a bit high pitched. It sounded like a fancy business bird or something of that sort. "You rescued a man from a fire, is that correct?"
"Yes," Alessandra said.
"With no thoughts of your own safety?" Sterlings said looking down at Alessandra through her glasses.
"I did what anyone would've done. I did what was necessary," said Alessandra with confidence.
"There is where you are wrong, miss," this came from Liam Williamson. He had a deep but kind voice. "The world has changed a great deal. We want to believe that anyone would do the same, but . . ." he sighed. "People are not what we would like to believe. The word is harsher, and it is harder to tell the difference between friend and foe these days," he spoke as if he knew a time when things were different. Or new of a place that was different. Perhaps under the sea the creatures there were kinder?
"Your faith in the kindness of humanity is another reason you have the Potential," Olivia said. "But be warned Alessandra, it can also blind you."
"Alright," said Sterlings. "Let us continue with the trial to see if she is worthy."
There was some quiet muttering from up in their chairs. After a while of deliberating, Olivia spoke.
"Alessandra, the Council has reviewed your deed and you are very worthy of the Potential within yourself. You are noble and wise and the Council feels that with the proper training and some powers of your own, you will make a fine hero."
"Do you accept our gracious offer?" Sterlings asked, peering down at Alessandra.
Alessandra was quiet for a heartbeat too long and I was on the edge of my seat waiting for her response. If she accepted I would most likely get to be her sidekick and we could solve crimes and be heroes together. But if she declined, well, only a few have ever declined the Council before and they'll have to have their memories of this whole thing wiped. (Yes we have a hero for that) But if that happens she won't remember me or any of this and I'll have to find another person that has the Potential.
"A gracious offer indeed," Alessandra said finally. "But I don't think I'm ready to be a hero."
"Funny isn't it, how the noblest ones say that?" Sterlings said with a small laugh, looking at her fellow Council members.
"There's something special about you Alessandra." Liam Williamson said. "You're not like most of the heroes we bring in. Yes, they are noble and heroic, but they accept their position. You, I don't know."
"I'm not trying to do anything noble, or draw attention to my self," Alessandra said stubbornly.
"We need more people like you. More heroes like you. We'll give you twenty-four hours to think it over, Alessandra. I hope you make the right choice." Sterlings said adjusting her glasses.
"And if I decline?" Alessandra asked. "What if I go blabbing to the whole world that there are powered people working outside the government? What if I expose you?"
"Do you honestly think I haven't heard that one before?" Sterlings asked. "Seth will go with you until the deadline and if you decline we'll wipe your memory of this place so you can't. And even if you did who do you think would believe you anyway? People are always looking for something spectacular and yet, they refuse to believe in such things, don't they?"