Chapter Two-A Scout Around Town

"How awful!" I protested. "That is just evil! Killing innocent people that just happened to stumble across the tribe! They don't deserve to die!"

"Did the elves deserve to die?" Long-Beard asked.

I fell silent.

"Long ago they came across a stranger and invited him to their tribe. He was so trusting to them and so friendly that no one thought him as any evil. Yet, in the end, he betrayed them and killed them. Why? Because of their high amounts of mana of course. Now everyone in our tribe also has high amounts of mana-" I coughed. "Almost everyone," Mr.Long-Beard corrected with a glare in my direction, "so we risk sharing the same fate of the elves if we're not careful. This means we cannot trust outsiders as they are a danger. The patrols are very important in the safety of the entire tribe".

"Seems like an important job from a lesser-then-average-mana nineteen-year-old," I grumbled while the guards around me twitched at my rudeness aimed directly to the leader of the tribe.

"That. Luna is the point. Because you have less mana, outsiders will be unlikely to sense you and think you're a threat. That way, you can kill them faster and they will have a less chance of escaping,"

Wow. Guess one good thing about me is using me as a killing tool.

"You will start tomorrow. Dismissed." With that, Mr.Long-Beard turns away and the guards escort me out of the pointlessly large room.

Virgo was waiting for me outside. He has this special sense when I was uncomfortable and wisely decided not to talk about it.

We spent the rest of the day enjoying each other's company. Night came far too soon. "I'll still see you around noon when we eat. We aren't getting separated forever," Virgo said as I stared at my new hut. "See you tomorrow." He hugged me and I went to sleep.

I was awoken far too early the next day by Polaris.

"Up you go," He didn't exactly say it gently but it wasn't too forceful either.

"It's only my first day and you guys are making me do down patrol?" I groaned.

"You'll get used to it. I remember my first patrol. I thought it was pretty pointless walking laps around the village. Still is. I haven't even seen an outsider in my ten years of this job".

I guess we normally don't have visitors then.

"Anyway get dressed. We leave in ten minutes."

I wriggled into my clothes and headed for the door.

"Hey! You forgot your spear!" Polaris reminded me. I reluctantly picked up the silver spear and went outside.

"Why doesn't anyone else have a spear?" I wondered.

"If we spot a stranger, we will attack them with magic but since you lack magic, I guess you will use a spear," Polaris explained.

Whelp. Thanks for making me look even more like an outsider Mr. Long-Beard. You're doing a great job.

"We'll start at the freshwater springs" the head of the patrol, Adromeado ordered. "And we'll loop around and end at Aruis's Room". That said, we started walking really slowly around the tribe. I decided to keep to the back so no one can look at me and the very obvious spear.

The Stellar Tribe choose to settle in the middle of a very warm and damp forest where not many will venture. But plenty of wildlife. Lots of birds chirping and bunnies hopping. I jumped at every skitter that a squirrel made and nearly impaled a raccoon as it landed with a thud. But as the rustles became more common, I came to be more at ease. I walked calmly, nothing to worry about, animals aren't that much of a threat.

And then came a yell and some tumbling finally finished with a thud.

Well, that doesn't seem like it came from a squirrel.