two

two
shot gun
FIRST PERSON

I WALKED INTO MY first period and saw Hailey, Sean and of course Nicki, sitting on top of him. I sat right next to Hailey and a couple seats ahead of Rowan.

"Alright, I know it's hard to focus the first week back, but let's settle down," the teacher said. "My name is Mrs. Dawson, and this is 11th grade English."

Like on cue, Brandon walked in, late. The teacher assigned him his seat. When he sat down, he looked at me and I just brushed it off. I turned and saw Sean eye balling him.

"Who did the summer reading?" She asked.

Everyone was quiet, and I felt embarrassed to raise my hand until I turned around and saw Rowan then turned to my right and saw Hailey.

It gave me the courage to do the same.

"Who are you three brave souls?" She asked.

"Rowan Fricks."

"Hailey Jensen."

"Cynthia Marks."

She wrote our name downs. Then, out of no where, my phone buzzed. Mrs. Dawson and Brandon started to spur up a conversation so I took a quick look. I was tagged in a video with Rowan, Hailey, and Elisia. The video was someone shooting a girl. I covered my mouth with my hand and put my phone away.

I tried my hardest to brush it off but it just kept bugging me. I looked at Rowan and I didn't see her checking her phone and neither did Hailey.

Then I looked down and saw Sean grabbing Hailey's waist. First the video, now my cousin is probably cheating on Nicki— I just wanted this day to be over.

I walked out of class until someone grabbed my arm. I turned around and it was Brandon. I looked around the corner and there Sean was walking the opposite direction so I knew it would be fine to talk to him.

"You okay?" Brandon asked.

"It's nothing, I promise," I replied. "Look, I have to go, but I'll see you later."

I walked away from him and practically ran to the girls bathroom to find Rowan and Hailey disputing about something.

"Cynthia, did you see the video?" Rowan asked me.

"You mean the girl being shot?" I asked. They both nodded. "Yes, what the fuck is wrong with you guys? Is this a joke?" I asked angrily.

"We had nothing to do with it," Hailey said. "But it is just a joke," she said that more towards Rowan.

"Who would joke about this?" I asked her.

"Thank you," Rowan gestured to me. Then Rowan grabbed her bag full of annoyance.

"Where are you going?" Hailey asked.

"I'm gonna go talk to Elisia," Rowan responded.

Hailey and I agreed to join in as we could.

Rowan walked off, though, but was interrupted by Hailey. "So you know where she hangs out?" Rowan didn't give an expression and Hailey looked at me. "'Cause we know where she hangs out."

We all walked into the Grotto, looking for Elisia. I saw Brandon in the distance and tried my best to avoid him.

"Cynthia, Hailey," Brandon said.

"Ignore him," I advised her and she listened, walking off as I saw him gaze at us in confusion.

I fell behind the pair that seemed to be in a full argument when I felt like someone was watching me. I looked around me cautiously, and subtly so I didn't look crazy, and found that no one was giving me their attention.

Trying my best to brush it off, I jogged to catch up to Hailey and Rowan and caught the tail-end of their continuous argument.

"So, what happened?" I asked them, thankfully stopping them from fighting in front of me.

"She doesn't know who posted it and thinks it's a joke," Rowan explained to me.

"Seriously? That's something Hailey could've told you," I said, with Hailey's agreement.

"So now what?" Rowan asked us.

"Nothing! Just forget about it," Hailey told her. "It's a joke."