six

six
you're a bully
FIRST PERSON

I SNUCK OUT OF Sean's window and started to head over to the motel. I decided to leave early because it was gonna be a long walk. I began to hear footsteps behind and turned around and saw nothing. Then I turned forward and there was Brandon.

Great, I thought.

"Boo!" He exclaimed, wearing an annoying smile.

"Dude, what the fuck?" I gasped, holding my chest.

"Jeez, why are you so on edge?" He asked.

Maybe because there's this 'Monkey Man' following me and taking videos.

"Nothing," I lied, brushing it off.

I noticed him still watching me as I looked away.

"Where are you going?" He asked me while walking beside me.

"To, um, Rowan's," I said as an excuse.

Then my phone buzzed. I looked at it and it was a private message from m0nk3ym4nnn. I opened it and it was a video of me walking with Brandon.

M0NK3YM4NNN:
it would be pretty bad for Sean to find out, huh?

I felt like screaming. I hated being controlled and right now, I knew there was no better option than to let it happen. I couldn't take the chance of Sean finding out about the kiss, or that I was still hanging around him after his warning; especially after the speech I gave him about family.

That would spit on my entire ideology.

"Oh, so you're still pretending to be her friend?" He chuckled lightly under his breath.

"Excuse me?" I questioned rudely. His response actually did piss me off. "I'm not pretending."

"Damn, I was just asking. She's a fucking bitch to me. I'm worried she might just use you," he told me.

I stopped in my tracks. I haven't known Rowan for too long but what I did know was that she was far from being a 'bitch' and far from 'using me'. He just never respected her and I can't say I wouldn't hate someone who was never nice to me; Rowan's actions were valid.

"Or maybe you're just an asshole?" I furrowed my brows, rolling my eyes. "Have you ever thought that maybe she's a "bitch," I used air quotes, "-because you treat her like crap?"

He crossed his arms. "What do you mean?"

I gave him a look. "Seriously?" I scoffed. "You're a bully, Brandon."

"Oh and what are you?" He asked me. "Ms. Innocent?"

"No, but at least I don't treat people like shit," I was actually starting to become annoyed and not just for the act. "Seriously, grow up, Brandon. Rowan and half the population aren't out to get you."

He scoffed to himself. "Seems like hanging out with the bitch is turning you into one."

"Leave me alone, Brandon," I stopped walking to give him the sternest of glares. "Seriously."

Brandon continued to stare at me before shaking his head and walking away. I watched him leave, not feeling that much guilty for what I said. I mean, I have to protect my friends— or whatever Rowan and I were.

I don't think it's fair that he was allowed to play the victim whilst being the antagonizer; it didn't make sense.

I was mad the rest of my walk there. I didn't even care that I was entering a very sketchy part of town with the possibility of being hurt by Monkey Man. None of that occurred to me as my emotions did a great job keeping me distracted.

It worked for the better because within no time, I was approaching the motel. I saw Hailey standing there by herself and I ran to her.

"Hey," I startled her.

"Oh my god, you scared me," she gasped, grasping me into a hug. That's when we started to hear creepy noises.

"Rowan," Hailey hollered.

Then another.

"Elisia," I yelled, copying her.

Then we turned around and saw Rowan running towards us.

"We need to get out of here, this place is so creepy," Hailey told us once we formed a circle.

"I know," Rowan agreed. "You guys okay?"

Hailey was staring at someone in the distance.

"What?" I asked, staring at her with fear in my eyes.

We both turned around and saw someone in a black hoodie wearing a monkey mask disappearing in the shadows.

"Where's Elisia?" Rowan asked us as we ran.

"I don't know," Hailey replied. Then Hailey found a skateboard, picking it up. "Isn't this hers?"

"Yeah," Rowan and I both answered simultaneously.

That's when a van appeared out of no where and started to chase us. We all ran and it turned a corner. We looked and saw Elisia in the back of van, pounding on the window.

"Elisia!" Rowan yelled as we all ran to the van.

We all stopped and knew there was no use on trying to chase the vehicle.