three

three
it's real
FIRST PERSON

I SEPARATED FROM ROWAN and Hailey after that, not a big fan of their constant disagreeing. Of course I believed that Hailey was right, that this was all just a prank; high schoolers have done worse things in the past at our school. But I felt like there was a much more evil intent behind the anonymous aspect of it.

Walking down my street, I tried my best to fight off the discomfort until I heard footsteps coming from behind me and it caused me to tense.

"Cyn, wait up," it was Brandon who was calling for me.

I talked to him quite frequently but it seemed like he was popping up a lot more than I wanted. It wasn't that I didn't like him— I just didn't think he liked me.

Plus, Sean's warning weighed in my head.

"Hey?" I asked in confusion.

"I just wanted to make sure you got home safely," he answered with a smug smile.

"Thanks, but I'm sure I would've been fine," I reassured him, trying not to sound monotone as I know he seemed to be sensitive.

Brandon shrugged. "Well, then I wouldn't be able to get time alone with you," and I felt a little unsure about that statement. "Why were you at the grotto? And why were you with Rowan?"

"She's my friend," I defended. That wasn't true but it was the only excuse I could think of. "And I just went to see someone that I knew."

"O-kay," Brandon decided to move on. "Hey, do you know what's up with Sean? He's acting like a dick."

Yes, I do, but I can't exactly begin to explain the truth to you. So, I don't. "No, sorry. Maybe he's going through something? Him and I don't really talk much anymore."

"It's all good," he shrugged until he stopped me from continuing to walk. "Are you sure you're okay? You seem a little...I don't know...awkward?"

"Excuse me?" I asked nonchalantly.

"I mean, you don't seem yourself."

"I'm fine," I tried to sound convincing. "My dad's been gone because he tries to distract himself with work so maybe I'm just a little on edge," I lied.

Brandon nodded. We stood there for a second in silence until he suddenly leaned in. I had no time to comprehend what was going on until his lips met mine.

He pulled away immediately. "Shit, I'm sorry. I don't know why I did that."

"It's fine," I shook off but I still was a little confused about what just happened. "I have to go. I'll talk to you later."

I walked away, leaving him in embarrassment. But seriously, what the hell just happened?

Later that night, I decided to venture to the grotto again to see if I could find Elisia. Her acknowledgement in this was bothering me for some odd reason.

She was like one of my closest friends when we were younger but when we grew up, we kind of grew apart as well. Elisia had different interests than I do and I think us being complete opposites furthered our separation but I still worried about her— especially now.

I walked down the grotto and to my luck, I found her.

"Elisia," I called her name, scaring her a bit.

"What are you doing here, Cyn?" She asked me, almost in relief but also annoyance.

"Looking for you," I answered like it was obvious.

"Wait," she shushed me, "hold on one sec," turning her head around the corner.

I looked where she was watching, and I saw Hailey. Why is Hailey here? That was until Ash showed up. They talked for a bit until he gave her something then left. Elisia was upset so she walked away, and I felt like it wasn't my business to go after her.

I feel like now I knew Hailey's secret, but why? My thought was interrupted when a light broke scaring Hailey and I. I ran to her to make sure she was okay.

"Hailey, are you okay?" I asked her, picking her up a bit.

"Yeah," she said, grabbing my hand.

We both finally stood up and saw something that terrified us to the core. In red paint, it read 'It's real'.