Chapter 6 - No Surprises

Riff was trembling as he made the phone call, moments after he and Skozz were set free from the fishing net incident at the bus terminal. He was expecting the absolute worse from his boss after they failed to capture Bodi the young mastiff.

"Riff and Skozz reporting." His terrified tone told the whole story.

"So, you weren't able to capture the young dog, right?"

"Um..." Riff starts to sweat profusely.

"It... didn't come to plan."

On the other end of the line, Linnux drank another can of beer on his other paw. He may consider another one.

"What did you mean, 'it didn't come to plan'???"

"I rather not explain, boss."

Linnux took one big sigh. They may have failed to capture Bodi, but that would not stop him from conquering Snow Mountain one day.

"I'll see you back at HQ, then."

And then, the line went dead.

Riff was feeling under pressure but knowing Linnux decided to let it slide, he took a sigh of relief. As if on cue, Skozz got to him at the carpark opposite the bus terminal with two cups of caramel Frappuccino, venti-sized. Riff grabbed his drink and took a large sip.

"Seriously, Skozz, that was by accident, wasn't it?"

The tall wolf took his time to respond.

"S-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-sorry, R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-Riff..."

Skozz's sorry tone was the kicker. His biggest struggle was trying to talk coherently, but being speech impediment was indeed tough.

The short wolf understood his partner's frustration. Having been together for some time, the only mammal that had to care in this world was each other. No one, not even their family, could not care less about two rejects and they already knew that.

Riff took one look at his partner's eyes and wanted to tell him something before deciding that silence would be the best way to appreciate the starry night.

8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8

Back at Mengcheng West Park, Bodi found himself at a public park, complete with benches and shelters for resting, a children's playground and some greenery to soothe his mind. His sensitive ears had detected music, and he was looking for it.

At last, he finally found what he came for: Outdoor jamming at the centre court area, complete with animals of different species and sizes jamming the night away. Some were playing with their own musical instrument of choice, others were lead singers who were vocally strong enough to sing the night away.