First Day

A huge banner was placed in honor of the new school year. The words "Welcome Back to School!" were written in big, navy blue bubble letters with a yellow background- the school colors. First day. I'm the new kid. I've never been the new kid before. It's weird. I mean, I don't know a single person in the school. But I mean, plenty of people transfer their sophomore year, right? Hopefully I can survive the day. We'll see. Now, I'm not much of a people person, so naturally, I just lowered my head and went inside, simple right? Wrong.

Of course, it's me so what else could I possibly expect? My head was lowered, but also paying attention to my screen, not the steps... or the people. I had one earbud in my ear, the other dangling loosely by me when I just had to trip over the first step. Luckily, someone was there to catch me. As I tripped, a pair of hands grabbed my elbows and scooped me upright.

I glanced up to see who had caught me. A boy with blonde hair, glasses, and the bluest eyes I've ever seen. My best guess was that he was a sophomore or junior. He smiled and laughed. His laugh didn't mock me, it was fun, playful and contagious. I found myself laughing too.

"Hey, are you ok?" He asked me.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just nervous." I answered.

"Well, don't be. You'll survive." He gave a soft laugh. "I'm Tyler."

"I'm Ellie." Just then, the school bell rang.

"Well, Ellie, I'll see you around." Tyler said, turned around, and walked off.

As I walked in what I hoped was the direction to my math class, I started to wonder, So. . . did I just make a friend? No, Ellie, just because some guy rescues you from falling on your face on the first day of school doesn't mean he's automatically your friend. I think. . .

Luckily, I found my class pretty easily. However, since I was the last to get to class, I couldn't really choose where I wanted to sit. I ended up in the front, next to... oh. Dang. This isn't weird at all.