Lunch

The next class just flew by. Before I knew it, it was lunch. As I was about to look for an empty table to sit at, I remembered Tyler's offer. A few minutes of searching, I found Tyler and Kevin sitting at a table with another boy. The table was scattered with textbooks and papers.

"Umm... hi," I said in a small shy voice.

Tyler looked up from his textbook and grinned, "Hey, Ellie! I'm really glad you decided to join us."

"Freshman?" said the guy sitting next to Kevin. He had dark brown hair and equally dark eyes.

"Oh, no, just new. I'm Ellie."

"Ah, well. Nice to meet you, Ellie, I'm Marwan." I smiled at Marwan, standing next to the table, not daring to disturb... whatever's going on there. I think Tyler noticed cause he moved some things aside and motioned for me to sit down.

"So, what is all of this? Like I get it, it's math, but... it's the first day of school." The three of them stopped and stared at me. Oh no. What did I do?

"Yes, it's the first day of school. Which also means that it's the first day of getting ready for the Mathletes state championships." Kevin spoke up. I could just see the passion in his eyes as he talked about math.

"You guys are mathletes? That's... cool."

"Um, yeah, it is so cool. Just don't listen to what other people say about us." Tyler looked at me. Wait... what?

"What do people say about you guys?"

Tyler opened his mouth to say something but then the bell rang. He seems to get cut off a lot. The four of us headed our separate ways. Well, I've heard that if you make at least one friend on your first day, you're doing ok. But I still want to know what Tyler was about to say.