Janis and Damian

"I can't do it." I plopped myself down at our lunch table the next day. "I'm sorry, I really am. I just don't think I can join the team."

"What? Why?" Marwan asked me, looking genuinely disappointed.

"I just... can't. Sorry." I said, staring at my hands. The truth was, I don't know how much longer I'll be at North Shore. I don't want to leave them hanging halfway through the season. I heard talk of my parents wanting to transfer me to a different school, seeing that I'll be able to finish high school while in Illinois. They always wanted me to go to a private school.

"It's okay," Kevin said, breaking my train of thought. "We still love you." I smiled at him but the rest of lunch I remained quiet.

The rest of the day passed by in a blur. The guys have a mathletes meeting so I was on my own after school. I decided to head over to the local art supply store. I can't say I'm some art genius, but sometimes it's fun to make little paintings.

I grabbed some acrylic paint and paintbrushes. As I looked for the canvases, I saw a familiar face in one of the aisles.

"Janis? Hey!" She turned around.

"Hey... Ellen?"

"Ellie."

"Close enough. What's up?"

"Oh, just..." I held up the paint, "This." She nodded.

"Well, Damian and I were gonna go to the park and hang out if you wanna come."

"Sure! I'd love to!"

I bought my stuff and walked to a nearby park with them. There, we sat under a tree.

"So how's it going with the mathletes?" Damian asked me.

"It's good," I said awkwardly smiling. "They're really nice."

"I mean, it's not every day Tyler falls hard for the new girl." Janis said, lifting her head from Damian's lap. "Or well, I guess you fell for him." I looked away, scared my face turned red. "Literally."

"Yeah, that was pretty embarassing." I said, still not looking at them.

"Wait. Do you...?"

"Uh... I don't know?" I finally looked at them. "He's really nice and all. I just don't wanna ruin our friendship." They exchanged a look and looked back at me.

"Is this what you normally wear to school?" Damian asked. I looked down at my clothes. A sweatshirt, leggings, and sneakers.

"We have class together. Every day." I raised an eyebrow at him, "And yeah, pretty much." He rolled his eyes.

"Bold of you to assume I paid attention to what you wear." Janis started cough-laughing. I stared at her.

"Sorry," she said laughing. I turned my attention back to Damian.

"Anyway! Why do you ask?"

Instead of answering, he stood up. Janis followed, and he becokened me to stand as well.

"No reason," He turned around, "We're going to the mall." He said, not even looking back.