The Cafeteria

I think I'm starting to fit in a North Shore. I mean, it's only been a month or so since school started, but I've become really good friends with Tyler, Marwan, and Kevin. At lunch, I got a sandwich and chips and went to go sit with them when I got called over by Damian.

"Hey, Ellie!" He motioned for me to come over.

"Hey, what's up?" I didn't really talk to him or Janis much, but I have French with them.

"I just thought you should know, it isn't a good idea to stay friends with them." He glanced over to the guys.

"Damian, you've told me before. It's 'social suicide' or whatever. But honestly, I don't see the problem with being friends with them. They're really nice." I looked over and waved at them. Damian sighed.

"I don't think you fully understand. Think about it. There are so many other groups at this school you could be a part of, yet you chose the Mathletes. You could be a jock..." 

"Heads!" A soccer ball flew into the air and a boy with brown hair who I had seen around caught it. I think his name was Aaron but I wasn't actually sure so I never said hi.

"Or you could be a band geek..." I looked over at their table and made a note to never be too close to them. "or hey, join the debate club or the dance team."

"What about the Plastics?" I asked knowing there was something between Janis and the Plastics, I just didn't know what. Janis bust out laughing.

"Oh no no no you don't want to join the Plastics." Then Janis' face grew dark, "Regina George is one of the evilest people I have ever known." I looked at her and Damian then decided to introduce myself to Regina. 

"I'm sure they're a lot better than you think." Then I left their table and walked over to where the Plastics were sitting.

"Hi! I'm Ellie, I'm new here." Regina looked at me. I couldn't really tell what she was thinking.

"You're the girl who hangs out with the Mathletes." I nodded.

"You know that's like social suicide, right?" Gretchen said. Regina glared at her then turned her attention back to me.

"You're really pretty, you know that? I mean, you're too pretty to hang out with them." I didn't really know how to respond to that. Karen gasped.

"Ooh, you should hang out with us!"

"Oh, I don't know about that, I mean the guys are rea-"

"No no. You should." There was something about Regina that I couldn't find it in myself to say no. 

"Yo, Ellie! Are you gonna eat?" It was Kevin. I looked behind him at Tyler and Marwan, still at the table, and then back at Regina, Gretchen, and Karen.

"Um... yeah." I started to walk towards the Mathletes' table. "Hey, Karen. Maybe we can hang out another time?" She smiled at me.

"For sure! Ooh, you should come to Chris' Halloween party!"

"Yeah, sounds good." Then I sat down next to Tyler. The three of them looked at me as if waiting for me to say something. It was kind of awkward. I cleared my throat.

"So what's the math problem of the day?" They closed their books.

"First," Marwan said looking at me. "What did Damian want?"

"Oh, that? It was nothing." I popped a chip in my mouth. "Hey, do you guys want to go Chris' Halloween party?"

"If we go will you tell us what Damian said?"

"Tyler, are you guys really willing to wait for a week just to know what he said?"

"Of course not, you'll tell us now." I don't think they're gonna leave this one alone. I sighed.

"Okay okay, I'll tell you. It's really nothing though."

"If it was nothing you would've told us already." I glared at Tyler. "Sorry."

"He called me over and tried to convince me I should stop hanging out with you guys." The table fell silent. "But I'm sitting here with you guys. You guys are my friends, not Damian or Janis or Regina or Gretchen or Karen or anyone else in this cafeteria. I don't care if people think I'm a loser for hanging out with you because you're my friends." Still nothing. "Guys?"

"I, for one," Tyler started, looking at his book, "think you're a loser because you refuse to see the beauty in Star Wars." He looked at me with a goofy grin on his face. I raised my eyebrows at him and slapped his arm. We all burst out laughing.

"So," I looked at them, "you're not mad?"

"Of course we aren't mad," Kevin said, "plus we were gonna go to the party anyway."

"Hey, we love you El." Marwan looked at me.

"I know." I looked at them, a smile spreading across my face. I heard Tyler gasp.

"PLEASE TELL ME THAT WAS A STAR WARS REFERENCE." I looked at him trying not to smile.

"Absolutely not." It definitely was. "Chips?"