Half Human

Half Human

Cara Andrews cleaned and packed her bedroom to keep herself from going through the process of packing all of her father's belongings in his study. His death a month ago had hit her hard. She knew no one lives forever but losing both parents in a single year seemed so unfair.

Her aunt Mary had moved in after her father died. It was only temporary, until they got everything in order and packed.

Mary was her mother's twin sister and barely got along with her father. Even now she never had anything good to say about him. Lee Andrews was the most important person in her life and her aunt refused to leave her with untarnished memories.

In her defence her aunt had missed the first ten years of her life. She had only been reincluded three years ago after her mother's cancer diagnosis.They had all known Sherry was going to die. For two years they pretended otherwise but that last year there was hardly any pretence. Aunt Mary blamed her dad for everything. Only once in front of her mom. Her mom threatened to move away and never speak to her again if she refused to let the past go.

Mary had packed up the house but Cara threw a fit when she attempted to start packing the study. She hated the idea of Mary going through his things. She couldn't give them the respect his belongings deserved.

“Cara, procrastinating won't stop the inevitable.” Mary said from the doorway.

“I'll do it, Aunt Mary.” She placed the last book in the box and folded the flaps closed. She stacked the box in the corner beside the other packed boxes.

“You said that last week.”

Cara looked at her aunt. Clearly irritated, “I said I'd do it and I will.”

“I've been patient, Car, but we leave in a week. There is years of stuff to go through. You've only filled three boxes and those are the ones you want to keep. You can't keep it all.”

“So you keep telling me.” She turned and started pulling framed photos and certificates from the shelves. She sat them on the bed and turned to grab another box.

“Now, Cara, or I'll do it myself.” Mary said after a moment.

“I hate you! No wonder mom moved so far away from you.” She glared. “I wish I was eighteen. I'd never have to talk to you again!”

-That's was a bit harsh.- Cara's conscience said softly. Cara ignored it and angrily swept past her aunt.

“Cara!” Mary followed her down the hall. “I've done nothing to deserve that.”

Cara stopped and spun around. “Yeah, you have, you do it all the time! You hated him. You always talk about him, blame him. But mom told me what happened. You didn't think he was good enough for her because he was a mechanic. But,” Cara waved her arms around the hallway, “he took care of us. He started his own business! He never took any thing from you.”

Mary looked shocked at her outburst. She licked her lips. With a nod she stepped back. “I wasn't, I didn't, you're right but wrong too. I admit I was a snob. But that's not what it was about. We were young. We had plans. We had always been together, nothing could separate us. We were supposed to marry doctors, live next door to each other, raise our kids together, serve on the PTA but Sherry met Lee and fell instantly in love. At first, you're right, I didn't think he was good enough. But Sherry got pregnant and I was still single. I was jealous, irrational. I said some stupid things. They left within a month. They didn't even say goodbye.

“The first year I felt betrayed. But I met Cal and i started to realize I was the one who drove them away. If I had known how to contact them I would have. But when Cal died in the car wreck I was alone. Every morning I woke up and felt like I was losing him again. I had no one. Three years later I get a call saying my sister is going to die. I couldn't blame Sherry for being sick so I blamed Lee for robbing me of all those years.”