Amber Garner and Dillon Vance - Mark Stands and John Vance *

It had been three hours since Amber's world had imploded and then instantly exploded. The world around her had continued to turn. The seconds ticked on. People continued on with their own lives. But her world was irrevocably changed.

The only reaction her mind had been able to produce had been to flee. So she ran. Mark had called her name but she didn't stop. She continued to run. As her mind malfunctioned she ran past her car. She had no destination. She just needed to get away.

Luckily her cousin Brian saw her an hour later as she crossed the street from the dollar store. His girlfriend was with him.

She almost didn't get in the car. It was Brenda's offer of a large hot vanilla latte with extra whip cream that made the decision for her. It was cold, her fingers were numb, and she was tired of running.

A latte turned into two. Brenda even convinced Brian to buy. The events that turned her world inside out became the topic of conversation.

Telling it out loud was worse then thinking about it. Brian's passive response was hurtful, but expected. Brenda's show of outrage and solidarity wasn't as predictable.

Brian eventually demanded they go to a real food place. Meaning he didn't want any more coffee, any soup, grilled cheese or ham and cheese croissants.

Amber tossed the fry down. It landed on the wax paper that bore the logo of a popular local fast food restaurant. She didn't even notice as it slid across the paper past her uneaten chicken nuggets.

"Seriously, if you're not going to eat that, I will," her cousin Brian said as he reached across the table.

Brenda, his girlfriend, elbowed him the ribs. "Brian, stop it."

He pulled back his empty hand. "It's a waste of food." He frowned as he grumbled.

Amber shook her head. "Eat it. I don't care. - I shouldn't have come." She attempted to smile. "I'm gonna head home." She started gathering her things that lay in the booth beside her.

"No. No, you don't have to go." Brenda protested.

Amber shook her head. She started to stand and put on her jacket.

"I was just giving you a hard time, cuz. Sit down." To his credit, he seemed to mean that.

"No, really, I think I just need to think." Amber slung her purse strap over her shoulder.

"We'll give you a ride home." Brian said as he started to wrap the small remains of his burger.

"No." Amber shook her head. "I just want to walk. It'll give me time to think."

"Aunt Kelly-"

"Won't even know, unless you tell her. Just stay here, enjoy your food. I'll be fine. You can come by the house after the movie and tell me about it." She smiled, hoping it looked more real than it felt.

Brian hesitated before slowly nodding. Brenda smiled. "We'll take you to see it this weekend, right?" She asked.

Amber nodded and headed towards the door. She was already five feet past the glass entrance when she felt a hand on her shoulder. She turned around, forcing a smile.

"Mark's an idiot. I know you loved him. I know you hurt. And I know you may not feel like it but you're better off without him."

"Thanks, Bren. Truth is... I don't think I did love him." This was a lie and the truth. She loved him but it was more as a best friend than a lover. "It always felt like something was missing." She added honestly and shrugged her shoulders. "I just didn't want to be alone." She didn't add that being around other couples was one of the causes of that. "The thing is, we were best friends. That's what hurts. I don't know if I can forgive him for that. If he was in love with John he should have said. I would have stepped back."