Keila and Joseph *

Keila loved Chinese food. It was her not so secret - secret pleasure. So when her family went to visit her older sister in the Red Mountain Pack she was delighted. Her sister had suggested meeting at the restaurant just thirty minutes from the packs land.

Keila suspected it was just too lessen the whole meeting Carissa's mate for the first time. Keila wasn't sure who's idea it was. Their parents were going to love him anyway. Carissa was their pride and joy. Keila knew she was the surprise, Clarissa had been planned.

Keila's leg bounced as they waited in the parking lot of the restaurant.

"There she is." Silvia said.

Keila followed them out of the SUV but hung back as introductions were made. She nodded, smiled, and said the appropriate things when needed.

Jim and Carissa's mate, Ethan, led the way towards the restaurant entrance. Despite the fact that Keila's usual craving for Chinese food her first steps lead her towards the other end of the strip mall.

Carissa laughed behind her. "Wrong way kid." Carissa put a hand on her shoulder. "Where were you going?" She inspected the hardware store. "You in need of a hammer or something?". She lightly shook Keira's shoulder.

"No." Keila shook off her sisters hand. "You know, Car, I'm not actually a kid. I'm an adult to the humans."

"I'm just playing around, Key." She smiled softly. "Can we eat? I know Chinese is your favorite."

Through out the meal Keila felt a gnawing in her gut. She still felt like going to the hardware store. It was like having a string tied to her stomach constantly tugging in the direction of the store.

It made no sense. Keila had never been to a hardware store in her life. All of that stuff was left in the hands of her father. Her wolf urged her to go inspect the store anyway.

"What's in a hardware store?" She blurted out.

Apparently, she has interrupted a conversation. All eyes turned to her. Normally, she'd just wave it off and forget about it. But she really wanted to know. What could her wolf find so interesting to see in there? 

Jim and Ethan both spoke at once.

"Anything you want to fix things." Jim said.

"The best person to as would be my brother, Connor, he works next door." Ethan explained.

"Mom, Dad, would you mind if I go over there? My wolf is insisting."

The words had an instant effect on the people around her. Carissa grinned and grabbed Jim's hand. Her mother's back stiffened. Her father looked at the wall towards the hardware store, with a scowl. He couldn't see through walls but he looked at them with malice anyway. Jim smiled softly and stroked Carissa's hand.

"Let's go." Carissa exclaimed. She started pushing back her seat.

"Car. That's enough." Her father scolded. Keila was shocked. They never raised their voices, much less in public.

"Yes. I think we should finish our food." Her mother said picking up a piece of shrimp.

Ethan looked a bit confused. 

"Actually, I'm not really hungry. I was but," she shrugged her shoulders. Keila wasn't sure how to explain the hunger had faded moments after she exited the car. When it came to Chinese food she normally ate til she made herself sick.

"Mom." Carissa protested.

Silvia looked for a moment as if she wanted to cry. She visibly swallowed and put her chop sticks on the table. She sighed heavily. "Fine." She pointed at Carissa. "But this is too soon. I am not ready for this."