Donald and Donna *

Donald West and Donna Allen

Donald West pushed the clutch and shifted gears. The truck slowed and he shifted down again. Break engaged he turned in the side parking lot. He made his way to the back loading dock.

The dock door lifted as he moved the trailer into place. It took forty minutes to unload, sign paperwork and call Elder Sinclair.

"Sorry, Don. The loads been delayed. I know you want to get home for your sisters birthday but it couldn't be helped."

"How long? If I drive through the nights I can cover more ground and still keep under regulations."

"Thirty two hours."

"Make it thirty eight."

"You want to take your restart? Won't that leave you behind?"

"No. As long as I take my restart it won't."

He drove the truck six hours to a 24 hour truck stop off the freeway just out side of Morrilton. This was the beginning of his restart.

He called his mom and explained the delay.

He inspected the rig, showered and ate dinner at the truck stop, and called Sinclair.

"I'm in Morrilton. I've started the restart." He tossed a chip on the styrofoam plate next to the lettuce he removed from his burger. "I'll be in Greenbrier in thirty eight hours."

"I'll let you know if anything changes. By the way, the local alpha offered you a room at the hotel. It's clean, free, close to the pick up location and food."

Donald tossed back a long drink of tea from his plastic cup. "No. I'm good in the truck. You said it was unavoidable. What happened? I assumed it was equipment malfunction."

There was a long pause. "No. Alpha Rather's daughter ran away. He's had the entire pack looking for her."

"I see. Some kid decide she wants to defy Daddy's authority and ends up upsetting the entire pack."

"Don." Sinclairs' tone held a warning Donald chose to accept. "Rather lost his wife and son a year ago. The girl is all he has left."

That's not true. He has the pack. A business. Betas, Delta's and any number of people counting on him. He effectively shut down his business to look for a kid throwing a tantrum.

Donald tossed and turned trying to sleep while he could. It was still another hour or two before the sun went down. He intended to make as much of his thirty eight hours restart as possible.

He wasn't missing Hayley's birthday. She turns twenty one and was going to search for her mate. Their parents had helped her turn in the paperwork early so she could leave the night of her birthday.

He finally fell asleep around dark. The air conditioner hummed softly creating a soothing background noise.

A soft metal on metal noise brought him from sleep. He exited the sleeper unit and slide into the drivers seat. He didn't see any movement outside the cab but noticed that two other drivers had arrived as he slept.

He assumed the noise could have been one of them checking their loads or locking up for the night.

The truck stops restaurant didn't open til five thirty so he still had another hour. He spent the next two hours reading. He was huge die hard fan of Steven King. The man's books never failed to hold his interest.

He exited the cab and paused as he rounded the back of the trailer. The spell of peaches and almonds seemed to cling to the trailer doors.

On the ground pressed into the dirt were small shoe prints.

He cussed silently as he looked at the doors. They weren't closed all the way. He preyed to the Creator that he hadn't just been thrust into the troubles of the local alpha.

At this point he'd be happy to find a rogue, an illegal alien, he'd even settle for a real alien. Anything but a runaway alphas kid.

Being as quiet as possible he pulled open the door. He hopped up into the back. Penlight in hand he wasn't prepared for the sight that greeted him.

One look and he knew who she was, what she was.

His mate lay curled up in the corner of the trailer. Her head rested on an over stuffed green backpack. Over her lay a child size throw blanket that didn't cover her feet.

Apparently, his mate was some kind of rogue or lone wolf. He knew logically she could be on walk about looking for her mate, him, but most planned ahead. They seldom needed to go to these links to find a place to sleep. Most saved money or at the very least bought a car.

Either way she was his. Quietly, he exited the trailer and made his way inside the truck stop. He brought breakfast for both of them. And nervously took it outside to the trailer.

He sat the drinks down.

He crouched over her still sleeping form, and gently shook her shoulder. Startled she scrambled back. She instantly I'd the area looking for an escape route her hands scratching her belongings and pulling them close.

"Hey, hey. Calm down. I'm not here to hurt you. Food." He shook her bag of food in the air. He watched her nose twitch. She snatched the bag and started eating seconds later.

Donald sat and calmly started eating from his own bag. He pushed one of the drinks closer to her but she ignored it.

Her nose continued to twitch as she ate. Half way through the content of her bag she started to sniff the air towards him.

A small pile of trash surrounded her. She was clearly more relaxed then she had been.

She eyes him suspiciously. But leaned forward, reached for the drink, paused and leaned back against the wall.

"It's yours. Drink it. You must be thirsty."

After a moment of hesitation she took the drink. She ripped off the lid and started drinking it.

"Do you know who I am?" He asked her softly.

She pulled the drink from her lips, licked them and shook her head.

Donald knew she was his mate. Why didn't she?

"What's your name?"

She swallowed more of the drink. "Donna."

He smiled, nodded slowly. "Are you lost? Where's your pack?"

"I left. No pack now. No boss." She explained between glupps of the drink.

Heat spread in his chest. No, no, no. Don't be the run away. He begged silently.

"Are you Alpha Rather's daughter?"

"Daughter." She scoffed. "Yeah, but he sees me more as a commodity to expand the pack. He wants me to marry his epsilon. I don't even like Jim."

Don's anger started to simmer. "What about your mate?"

"My father doesn't believe in mates. Marriage and mating is about helping the pack."

"Not. Yours. You are mine."

The End

AN...

I hope you enjoy this one. Remember to vote, share, follow and add this to your library.

I know it needs editing.

SSSSSSOOOOOOOOO......
If you see anything that needs to be fixed let me know. If anything is unclear point it out. If you think a different wording choice would be better drop it in the comments (Even complete paragraphs). I'm up for suggestions on how to make it better.

Happy Reading,
Asha