Kiana Richard and Ian Murphy *

Kiana finished tightening the lug nuts on the back rear wheel. She replaced the jack and lug wrench back in the trunk next to the flat tire. She picked up the small rug she had thrown over the broken glass she had been unlucky enough to park over. She gave it a shake and replaced it in the trunk too. 

Just as she closed the truck a car pulled to a stop beside her. 

"You need help?" The dark haired man asked. He looked to be around forty or forty-five. His beard was brown and scruffy. His hair was about the same as his beard. He had dark green eyes that probably changed colors with his mood. He also had a pale blue aura. 

"No, thanks. I just had to change a flat." She explained. "Oh, wait. Do you have a Walmart Auto center close by?" She asked as an afterthought. 

"Closest one is about sixteen, maybe eighteen miles up highway 60. It's a supercenter thing." He pointed in the direction both vehicles were facing. "I'm going that way, but I'll be turning about two miles before you get there. But you can't really miss it. It'll have a big blue sign on your right. You're more than welcome to follow me. I'll keep an eye on the rear view in case you run into any more trouble." 

Kiana nodded. "I'd appreciate that very much. Lead the way." She nodded. He waited til she got  the car started and in gear before pulling back into the road. 

True to his word she saw the sign just three minutes after he turned off of the road. It took the car center an hour and forty minutes to fix her tire, place it back on the car and put the spare back in place. 

While she waited she purchased a bottle of water, a chicken salad, a chocolate brownie, and a pack of peanut butter crackers. She ate her makeshift lunch as she waited. 

She took the time to watch the others around her. Their auras were interesting. The people around her had no idea just how much they revealed in public. 

Seeing auras was a blessing and a curse. As a child she hadn't been able to block out the ability but as a teen had learned to do it. Speaking to others she had also learned her ability was different. The colors she saw may have not been the same as ones seen by someone with a similar ability. 

As a child she had assigned colors a trait or emotion, as a teen she had refined the color assignments. Auras were ever changing. At least the ones she saw. She saw emotion but a strong enough personality could be 100 percent emotional.

Even groups of different colors meant different things. An example is blue. Blue was a trustworthy color, someone was calm. But blue blue mixed with purple signified a person who considered him/herself better than others. Purple alone was a person who felt nothing but contempt for others or felt anger at the world. However light purple mixed with yellow was a person who found others to be untrustworthy, someone who was cautious. 

She had never been able to classify her mother and grandmother's auras. Her mother's aura was usually blue and yellow. It signaled she was trustworthy and that she had a secret. But there was also the outer edge of her aura. Her mother had a thick layer of silver haze around her aura. Her grandmother had the silver haze too but the haze was thinner.

There were many people who presented the world with one image of themselves but had aura's that contradicted that image. 

School had been rough. A person's aura had a tendency to change depending on the situation. A boy who had a crush on her in the morning could forget she existed by the afternoon. Her best friend could meet the new kid in school and suddenly be jealous of her because the boy spoke to her first. It was hard not to react when you could see the changes in auras even if the other person gave no other signs. She had learned slowly to block the auras.