Little Krishnayya

The evening breeze was pleasent. Traces of tangerine blending perfectly with the cornflower blue sky, lined by silvery clouds hither and tether. Streets were bright and in front of everyone's houses were colorful, swirly, rangolis. Some big while a few, small.  The festival was huge this year, especially at the house of the Uppalapatis.
________

Shivakumari garu's excitement knew no boundaries. The elderly woman muttered something under her breath all along. She was in a hurry to prepare the confectionery before the guests arrived. In addition, she had to assist her daughter in law with the festive arrangements.
"I told him to return early! When does he ever listen to me? Will his producers and directors come and cook now?"

"Relax amma. Why do you take so much stress? There's ample time and we're done with all the dishes."

"Not yet dear. Most importantly, the dishes to be prepared with beaten rice are pending." She composed herself finally drinking water her daughter in law handed. Anushka held out a glass of milk for the hundredth time in the day.

"If Papsu comes to know that you are fasting, he'll be upset with you. Have this milk atleast. Please amma."

"Just a few more hours. Let's have dinner all together. It's for our good. By the way, I'm your only company." She smiled patting the former's shoulder.

"But the doctor advised you to not skip meals." Anushka frowned.

"That doctor has thousands to say and I'm his only patient. What do you expect?"

The duo giggled. Their conversation was interrupted by a loud sound.

"I'd left the tray with butter, beetlenuts and leaves on the center table. Oh no!"

Back in the living room, a tiny flute was rolling on the floor but its owner, nowhere to be seen.

"I will tie you to that table itself if I find you!" Anushka tucked the end of her saree to her waist, in search of the troublemaker.
"There you are!"

Pratyush squealed on being spotted behind the sofa. Who would not melt for his luculent, charming smile? Anushka could not help but laugh. He had spilt the beetlenuts and smeared butter dirtying his clothes. The leaves were a different story, all scattered throughout the hall.

"Who will clean this mess? Didn't I put you to sleep just five minutes ago? Naughty fella." she chided,"Amma I'll have to give this guy a bath again. Look what he's done to himself. Ever since he learnt to crawl, all he's created is chaos," she complained.

"Tch tch! Nanna entra idanta? (What is all this?) All in the genes! Call his lousy dad, Sweety. He's never home on time!"

Anushka chuckled nodding her head.
______________

The house was rutilant with lights and decorated with gorgeous flowers. It had to be! Krishna Janmashtami was not the same until a decade or two before in their house.

"Let me help you with the saree bangaram. Pains to see you struggling."

Anushka swatted Prabhas' mischeavous hand that sneaked into her clothes.
"You will do no better than ruining it, so step aside. I have no time."

"Mother in law and daughter in law have teamed up against me, eh? Didn't even receive my cup of coffee! How long can you stay angry with me?" his fingers drew varietal patterns on her skin with his body sticking to her's from behind.

"There's a lot of work to do!" she tried to maintain a long face.

"See, I've been telling you. Let's finish it off." His smirk nevertheless failed to make her go red. This father and son could make her anger vanish with their mere smiles.