Chapter 3| Day One

Three days came by and flew as the week continued onward. Sohyun’s drug test and background check were finally done being looked over. Her drug test came back clean, which wasn’t surprising as she abhorred alcohol and wasn't bothered about doing drugs. She knew how fatuous, how detrimental it was to the brain and all the negative effects it gave to the body. Soyhun already dealt with enough problems, drinking and taking drugs that would only get rid of her problems in the short-term wasn’t going to do her any good. In fact, it would just make it worse.

The only thing Sohyun was worried about was her background check. Even though she was still a minor, she was charged with homicide, the murder of her friend, and served time for it. It also didn’t help that she was arrested briefly four months ago for breaking and entering.

Namjoon called her after he got all the needed information, even though he didn’t really care about the outcome of it since he already knew most of the information, but he only did it so it didn’t look sketchy.

To Sohyun’s surprise, she got the job and her first day of work was on Monday, although she’ll mostly be getting used to everything and the rules of the restaurant instead of actually waitressing.

The day cycles continued and Sohyun went through her regular boring gloomy daily routine until it was Monday morning. She woke up early, got dressed, and made her way down to the restaurant by foot since she didn’t own a car and the restaurant was fairly close anyway. Walking down the street always gave her relaxation and a calming feeling. The cool gust of wind blowing through her brightly colored strains of hair sent her tingles, happy, giddy tingles. The aroma of freshly baked food and fast fatty food hugged her nose as she passed the different restaurants and bakeries next to each other. The beauty of nature and the man-made objects filled with color and life washed over Sohyun like an ocean wave, filling her with meaning and upbeatness. It gave her a feeling of life. The feeling of actually being apart of the community and what they had to offer.

Once Sohyun made it to the restaurant, she noticed that the closed sign was still up but the door was unlocked. She opened the door and walked in, causing Jungkook, who stood at the counter, to lift his head up. Jungkook greeted her and then led her to Namjoon’s office since he needed to tell her a few things before she started her training.

As they entered the room, Namjoon quickly shoved a newspaper and a cream file thick with sheets of paper with small printed ink that was unreadable to Sohyun, into his drawer. Namjoon glanced at Jungkook, giving him a look. A look that said something, something only Jungkook understood. Jungkook looked back with an apologetic face. Namjoon then turned his focus to Sohyun, his serious dark demeanor now bright and cheerful.

“Hi, Sohyun. How are you?” Namjoon asked, a smile on his face as he head was tilted up towards her.

Sohyun looked between the two before setting her eyes upon Namjoon. “I’m . . . alright.”

“I just wanted to let you know that Jungkook will be training you. If you have any questions you can ask him. If there’s an emergency or an issue you come to me, ok?”

Sohyun nodded her head. “Ok.”

Jungkook looked up from the papers scattered on Namjoon’s desk, the ones that weren’t confidential and shoved in the drawer, and into Sohyun’s luminous hazel eyes, her stubby thick black lashes standing out against her fair skin.

“Jungkook, can you show her around and introduce her to the rest of the workers?” Namjoon asked, his fingers tapping against his keyboard rapidly as he looked at the screen intensity.

“Sure,” Jungkook replied.

Namjoon glanced up from his computer and at Jungkook for a second before typing again. “Good, because you didn’t actually have a choice.”