Chapter 24| Safeguard

The pale blue sky filled with feathery clouds that floated about transitioned into endless darkness with stars twinkling in its black void. Sohyun eyed the stars carefully as Yoongi drove past them. Memories of when she was little flashed through her mind. A time when she was full of innocents and wished upon those stars, not knowing any better. Even if her wishes didn’t become fulfilled she still found it fun to believe that they would.

Coldness crept into Sohyun’s bones as Yoongi pulled up to her house and parked the car. Sohyun sat there for a moment, reflecting on a new thought, before biding him goodbye. As she was about to open the door Yoongi reached out for her hand, causing Sohyun to look back at him.

Yoongi retracted his hand once he caught her attention. “Maybe I should-” Yoongi paused for a second. “-stay with you. I don’t want you to have any more nightmares.”

Sohyun smiled as she tilted her head. “And you think you can keep them away?”

“I think so.” Yoongi smiled back. “And if you do get them you won’t be alone.”

“You really don’t have to stay if-”

“Sohyun, it’s fine. I want to.”

Sohyun tried to conceal her smile that wanted to take over her face. “Thanks, Yoongi,” she muttered before getting out of the car, Yoongi following behind her.

Sohyun unlocked the door and turned the lights on once inside. Yoongi stood in front of the door with his hands in his pockets as he looked around.

“Do you want to watch a movie?” Sohyun asked as she locked the door and then kicked her shoes off.

“Sure,” Yoongi said as he slipped his shoes off and placed them next to Sohyun’s.

“You can pick something out. I’m going to change real quick,” Sohyun said before disappearing into her bedroom.

Yoongi walked over to the living room, grabbing the remote before sitting down at the edge of the couch.

After a short while Sohyun came back with a light blue fluffy blanket. She turned most of the lights off to set a theater mood before sitting next to Yoongi, laying the blanket over them.

“What are you doing?” Yoongi questioned, staring at her.

Sohyun eyed him for a second. “Putting a blanket over us? Your hand felt cold when you touched me.” Sohyun brought the blanket up to her face as she moved her legs underneath her. “So what are we watching?”

“It’s an action-”

Sohyun rolled her eyes, a small smile on her lips. “Of course.”

Yoongi glanced at her, grinning. “Action Sci-fi.”

Sohyun silently shook her head as she focused her attention to the movie playing on the screen.

An hour and thirty minutes into the movie Sohyun felt her heavy eyes start to close. The house was peacefully quiet except for the bit of sound coming from the TV that was turned down low and their light breathing as they sat next to each other.

Though she tried to stay awake to see the ending of the movie, her vision fell into endless darkness as her head slowly drifted towards Yoongi until it fell upon his shoulder. Sohyun forced her eyes opened, only managing to open them slightly, to lift her head back up though it just ended up on Yoongi’s shoulder again in the end.

Yoongi glanced down at Sohyun, who rested next to him comfortably, an unwanted smile made its way to his lips. He searched for her hand under the blanket, which wasn’t hard since he could see the faint outline of it. Once his hand found it, he intertwined their fingers together, warmth immediately engulfing his cold hand.

He wanted Sohyun to be able to sleep peacefully and feel safe. If he was able to bring that protection for her, he wouldn’t mind being her guard that fought off the bad dreams like a dream catcher.

Once the movie ended, Yoongi moved carefully and subtly to retrieve the remote to turn the TV off. Yoongi moved the blanket up to his chin as he sank down into the couch slightly. Somehow, Sohyun managed to get closer to him. Yoongi ignored the feeling in his chest as he rested back, knowing sleeping was going to be difficult. 

As both of their minds went unconscious, their breathing paced evenly with each other. Movements being bare to a minimum. The quiet sound of breathing followed the night out until the sun rose above again.

Sohyun moved slightly as she felt something shift underneath her. She opened her blurry eyes and looked up to see Yoongi’s jaw. Yoongi glanced down at her, still tired. Sohyun quickly sat upright once she realized that she was laying against Yoongi. Already embarrassed from just waking up, as she tried to put some distance between them she felt something around her hand. She came to the conclusion that Yoongi’s hand was intertwined with hers. As she tried to pull her hand away he held it tighter.

Sohyun’s face heated up as she glanced at Yoongi. Looking at him, she could see a faint shade of pink on his pale face. Yoongi’s eyes slowly hoovered Sohyun. 

“How did you sleep last night?” he asked.

“I slept fine. Thank you, Yoongi.” Sohyun gave him a small smile.

A crooked smile appeared on his lips. “For what? For being a pillow or staying over?”

Sohyun chuckled. She eyed Yoongi for a moment, her eyes glimmering along with the sunlight that crept in through the cracks of the blinds before she looked away. The warmth of his hand messing with her senses.

“Both,” she said. “Thanks for listening to me and being here with me. I think talking about it helped.” Sohyun looked back at him. “And I want you to know you can count on me to do the same for you. We’re not just partners, trainer and trainee anymore.”

Yoongi nodded his head, hiding his grin. “Thanks, Sohyun. You really don’t know how much you’ve already helped me though.” 

“I’m glad.”

“Do you think you have those nightmares because you’re alone?”

Sohyun shrugged. “I guess that could play a part in it.”

Yoongi shifted his body. “Do you feel safe around me?”

“I do. I trust you even though at times when I probably shouldn’t. My trust for you has developed more and it’s a sturdy bridge though it was built quickly. You gave me reasons to trust you, so why shouldn’t I? I know you care about me and you’ve proven than just by listening to me and staying over. I know you’ll protect me if I need it. And I’ll do just the same.” Sohyun grinned. “Even when we were still on rocky ground you still tried to protect me.”

Yoongi smiled as he looked at her. His smile faded as he tilted his head and leaned closer towards Sohyun until their shoulder touched. “Sohyun.” His hoarse hushed voice entered Sohyun’s ear as his vanilla scent enhanced her senses.

“Yes?” Sohyun said softly as she tried to control the feelings swirling inside of her.

“You know how my views and feelings towards you changed. So I was wondering how you feel about me,” Yoongi said as he peered at Sohyun.

Sohyun could feel her face heat up again as she became shy and found talking hard. It was a simple question, but one that made her shy away. “Yoongi, I-”

Suddenly their phones rung. Sohyun took it as an opportunity to remove her hand that was starting to sweat from Yoongi’s grip as she stood up and went to grab her phone, looking at the text just sent to her. After reading it, Sohyun and Yoongi looked at each other.

“Did you get the same message?” Yoongi asked as he stood up.

“I think so. Namjoon wants to meet up at headquarters,” Sohyun replied.

“It must be something serious if he wants to meet at headquarters.”

Sohyun grabbed her jacket from off the hook, Yoongi behind her. She looked back at Yoongi, smiling. “You know what that means, right?”

Yoongi smiled back at her. “A development on our case.”