Chapter 28

The past two days Adelaide and I have been too tired to go out of the house. All we have done is cuddle on the couch, cuddle on the porch and look at the beach, cuddle in bed and watch movies. Pretty much just non stop cuddling. Which is amazing considering we can't do this constantly.

"I think we should get out of the house," I say, while we are watching a movie and cuddling.

"Um I don't know." She shakes her head. "I like being right here with you."

"Well," I chuckle. "Thank You. We can be together, but outside."

Adelaide groans. "Okay, but let's finish the movie."

I chuckle and nod my head.

***

"So where shall we go?" Adelaide asks as we walk out of the house.

"Well, I am starving." I respond. "In the mood for sandwiches"

"I know this great sub place down the street!"

I grin. "Well, show the way."

"So when did your parents buy this house?" I ask her. "The house is so nice and everything around it is gorgeous."

"Well, this is where we would spend our summers. I loved coming here. As much as I loved school, I did not want to be anywhere but here. So when my parents went off to Australia, they didn't need it anymore so they gave it to me."

We reach the the restaurant and walk in. I order a ham and cheese melt and Adelaide orders a ceaser salad. We sit diwn at a table, her across from me.

I take a bite into my sandwich and my eyes go wide. "This is amazing"

Adelaide laughs. "I told you."

While we are talking, her hand intertwines with mine and my face immediately lights up.

"I'm so sorry," she says as soon as she realizes what happened. She pulls her hand away.

"Wait no no no," I protest. "It's fine." I smile and she smiles back and grabs my hand again.

"This is crazy though," she says as she rubs her thumb across my hand and looking at it. "The only time that we have really been able to be together over the past month is in my bedroom. Now we are actually be in public."

I just smile at her not being able to form any words.

All of a sudden she pulls her hand away and starts looking at her salad and pushing it around. I look at her confused and she just looks up at me.

"What are you do-" I begin.

"Just, trust me." She whispers.

"Oh hello Adelaide!" I hear someone exclaim from behind me. The voice sounds familiar. Adelaide gives a smile, but I can see the nervousness in it. "And who is this?"

I look up to see Mrs. Ross standing beside me. "Hello Mrs. Ross."

"Hello Willow!" She smiles. "What are you doing here with Miss Park?" She asks.

I look over at Adelaide not knowing what to say.

"Well," Adelaide begins. "Willow's parents are going out of town for this week and next week but didnt want her to be alone before she comes back over here so I offered to let her stay with me for this week."

She looks at us and nods her head. "That is so sweet of you Adelaide."

I look over at Adelaide with a small smile and she winks. "So what are you doing here?" Adelaide asks.

"Well my husband and I," she turns around and we see a man waiting in line. "Are going to the boardwalk today."

"Oh Well that is exciting!" I finally speak up.

"Would you two like to join us?" Mrs Ross asks.

I look at Adelaide again, not wanting to say something wrong.

"Um," Adelaide says. "Why not?" She asks while looking at me.

"Well, yeah. Sure." I look at her.

"Yes, we will go with you." Adelaide says.

"Great!" Mrs Park smiles and claps her hands together. "How about 3 o'clock?" Adelaide and I nod our heads. "Well, I am going to go back to my husband. But, Adelaide I will call you for where to meet."

Mrs Ross walks away and i look at Adelaide and exhale all the air I was holding in. Adelaide just takes a bite of her salad and I take a drink of my lemonade. We finish our food in silence.

While we walk back to the house I do not know what to say. I can feel that Adelaide wants to say something also. But i Also don't want to say something wrong so I continue to walk in silence.

When we walk into the house Adelaide walks straight to the couch and sits on it. I sit on a seat at the island in the kitchen, just watching Adelaide.

"Are you okay?" She turns and asks me.

"Um," I nod my head. "Yeah, I am just worried about you."

"I'm fine," she nods her head. "Well, despite the fact I was really hit with reality. And we agreed to go to the pier with them." She runs her hand through her hair.

"We can just stay inside?" I suggest. "Just tell them I have a major migraine or something?"

"No that would be rude." She shakes her head. "I don't like to lie."

"Okay." I nod my head. "We go."

I look at my watch. "We still have a couple hours."

She only nods her head.

Although we have verbally established that we are okay. I know that she isn't.

"I'm going to go take a nap," she gets up. "Wake me up in an hour."

I nod my head and watch her walk upstairs.

I walk over to the couch where she was sitting and pass it to the other side. I sit and look at where she was sitting. I feel a tear make its way down my face. And another. And another. I hate knowing people aren't okay. Andni don't know how to help them.

I eventually feel my eyes grown heavy and I fall asleep myself.

-------------------------------------------------