Chapter 33

The past two weeks have been difficult. Everyday I wake up hoping Adelaide decided to come back, and everyday my wish is not granted. The past couple days however have been easier, with hanging out with the girls again, and somewhat getting used to not seeing Adelaide. However, I still have the thoughts running around in my head that I did something terrible without knowing. That I absolutely lost her trust and there's no hope. That I am simply a terrible person.

I tried calling her that night when the substitute, Mrs. Harley, said Adelaide was not coming back. However, unsurprisingly, she did not answer. I tried once more a couple days later, but that was the last time. I figured there is no point in trying again.

"Alright everyone," Mrs Ross announces. "Next week is our last week till winter break."

All of the girls in my class cheer and Mrs Ross chuckles.

"And all of you have worked So hard and all of your grafes are at least that I have determined you don't need a final."

We all cheer again.

"But I do have to give you a final assignment. So I am having you all read your favorite book this weekend and write a summary of 500 words only. It will be due next Friday. So get to work."

Mrs Ross walks back to her seat and starts writing on some papers.

I pull out my favorite book and begin to read. I become so engrossed in my book that fifteen minutes later I do not hear Mrs Ross calling my name. The girl sitting next to me taps me to get my attention.

"Willow, I need you to go to the office."

I get up and start walking to the office. It is not a far walk and I reach it quickly.

The secretary points to the office next to the desk when she sees me and I walk over and knock. The headmistress tells me that i can enter.

"Headmistress Myers?"

I walk in and she is sitting on one of the chairs across her desk.

"Willow Fields, come sit." She gives a small smile and pats the seat next to her.

I nod my head and walk over hesitantly, nervous as to why she called me in.

"Willow, I received a call from your father."

"My father?"

"Willow, your mother has passed on."

I freeze. I feel the tears form in my eyes. I drop the books I was carrying in my arms. I can't hear any of the words from the principal's mouth except for "flight, this afternoon, funeral, Sunday, and after winter break."

After I assume she finishes talking, she wraps her arms around me and holds me for what feels like hours but is really fifteen minutes.

The assistant principal offered to drive me to the airport. After leaving Mrs. Myers' office, I went straight to my room so I can pack. The flight leaves at 3 this afternoon and boarding is at 2:20.

As soon as I reached my room, I fell to the floor and sobbed. After two seconds I felt what I can only assume to be Logan's arms wrapped around me. I hear her call the other girls and a few minutes later I feel more arms wrap around me.

They helped me on my bed and one of them sat there with me and the others packed my suitcase. I eventually fall asleep.

***
I wake to Logan shaking my arm and I see the assisstant principal standing in the doorway.

I immediately start crying again, remembering recent events. Logan helps me sit up on the bed and helps me put my shoes on. She helps me up off the bed and we walk out. Sierra grabs my suitcase and Robyn grabs my bag.

We walk down to the car and I get into the back of the car. I hear Logan tell me to text her when I land and I nod my head.

The forty-five minute drive passes by quickly. When I get out of the car the asisstant principal hands me my ticket and hugs me and says she is sorry for my loss. I force a thank you and walk into security.

I get through security and walk to my gate with ease. The tears stopped in the car, but they threaten to come out every second, but a headache is forming so I try not to let them out.

Not long after I reach the gate it is time to board and I walk on. The head flight attendant informs me that she is sorry for my loss and that her team will help me in any way. I assume that Headmistress Myers called in advance.

I sit in my seat and I once again receive a window seat. The person sitting next to me is an about 35 yead old male. He smiles to me and I give a small smile back to be polite.

"Everything is going to be okay?" He says about fifteen minutes after we are in the sky.

I give him a questioningly look asking how he knows something is wrong.

"You look like you have been crying hard for hours."

I nod my head.

"My mom is dead." I say bluntly while staring at the seat in front of me. "I saw her three weeks ago, smiling and laughing, and the next time I see her she will be in an open casket, in the endless sleep. And I will never be able to hear her voice again. And she won't ever call me 'sweetheart again' - she pretty much only called me that. She won't walk me down the aisle when I get married. She won't meet my kids. She's gone."

In the middle of my rant I begin to sob again. Luckily there is only one other person in first class and he has ear buds in.

"My wife died last year." The man next to me says. "It hurt like hell. All I heard was 'sory for your loss' for countless months and the pain is still a thing. But, I h a d people around me who loved me and helped me get better and cry less. They held me through the breakdowns. I don't think I could have gotten through it if it wasn't for the people who loved. So please don't push out the people around you because you are going to get better. It will hurt so much. But let them hold you and cry with you."

"Thank you." Is all i can say in return.

We both go to our separate tasks. I look out the window and him typing on his computer. I eventually fall asleep for the rest of the flight.

***
I wake up when we land and I immediately feel the tears coming out of my eyes.

As soon as I regain call service I receive many texts and unanswered phone call notifications. The top text from Lydia saying that she is picking me up and I am staying with her.

I get to baggage claim and I see Lydia and Sam. They run to me and grab my suitcase and bag. They both wrap their arms around me and I immediately break down crying, not caring about all the people who are watching me.

-------------------------------------------------

I cried the whole time I wrote this chapter. So please know I hated it.