Chapter 40

"Hey there is something we need to talk about," Adelaide says as I sit with Kona in front of the television, "I wanted to talk to you about it yesterday, but everything with Kona happened and she is so much more important than this."

She leans over and pets Kona and I pause the movie.

"What's up?"

"So it is Christmas next week right?"

I nod my head.

"And my parents are coming from Australia.."

"Here?"

"No," She shakes her head. "They will be at Holly's. And my other sister, Lilly, is coming from the East Coast. And I have to be there, and I wanted to know if you wanted to go?"

I stay silent, debating if it is a good idea I go with her.

"I mean, it is okay if not," she responds again, "Of course, with Kona's condition, and not entirely being able to move in general, it is okay."

I shake my head. "No, I want to, and I couldn't sleep last night so I was doing a lot of thinking. Well, I wanted to also ask you if we could talk to your family about keeping Kona with them while we are at school."

"We could talk to them, however, with the kids I don't know. But I think Holly would be open."

"Okay." I smile and look at Kona, who is just laying down.

***

"So Katelyn is the baby, and Josiah is the older one," Adelaide tells me as we drive to her sister's home.

I can't say I am not nervous. I am not only meeting her parents, I am meeting her whole family. I did meet her sister, sort of.

"So," I say after a few minutes of silence, "what does your family think of your student spending Christmas with you?"

"We'll see."

She continues to look to the road.

"What does that mean?" I ask her.

"It means," she sighs, "they don't know."

"Adelaide!"

"I mean, Holly has met you. And, Lillian knows that I have a student that I am close to. And I also told my sisters that you are going through some stuff and I am the only one."

"This makes me even more scared, They know all my business!"

She looks at me and grabs my hand, but looks back onto the road wothout letting go.

"Don't be," she squeezes my head. "Please. They will love you as much as I love you. Plus they know that I have a student that really looks up to me."

I sigh. "I dont know."

"Babe, it is okay. Plus we will be there in fifteen minutes so you need to calm down. And how is Kona doing back there?"

I look behind me to see Kona sleeping, same as she has been doing for the past week.

"Sleeping."

I can't blame her. She has been through so much. I would be sleeping endlessly also.

"Poor thing. She seems to be more upbeat and walking more the past two days."

I nod my head in agreeance. "But it will be awhile before she gets completely better. Physically and mentally."

She takes her right hand of the wheel and brings it down to mine, resting on the arm rest. She intertwines our fingers.