Chapter 3 : Hunger

As the days pass by, Nora slowly gets used to the school atmosphere, the workload and homeworks. She quickly found her favorite place in school: the library. Oddly enough, Mrs. Pince seems to like her. Something to do with her inability to talk according to Ron. Hermione leans more for her seriousness and her assiduity. The two girls became relatively accomplices by dint of frequenting the same place. In exchange for advice on her lessons, Nora proved to be an invaluable help in studying Ancient Runes. Hermione still can't believe she was so easily outdone in a class. As if the girl fluently speaks this dead language. As if the runes were anchored in her since her birth.

It is during one of their sessions Nora finally discovers Voldemort's existence. The word "Death Eater" comes one time too many in the conversation for her not to ask. The hell if she looks like a fool.

« You don't know what a Death Eater is ? » Hermione exclaims, which earned her an evil look from Mrs Pince. « You've never heard of Lord Voldemort ? » She adds in a whisper.

Her friend's lost eyes answer her. Puzzled by her ignorance, Hermione takes her school tone to enlighten the girl.

« He's an evil mage who studied here at Hogwarts. In Slytherin, like most wizards who went wrong. He ruled the wizarding world 16 years ago before disappearing trying to kill Harry. »

Harry ? Like in Harry Potter ?

« Yes, that's why he's famous. He survived the Killing Death, the first to do so. »

What does this have to do with Death Eaters?

« They're his allies, wizards who have sworn allegiance to Voldemort and who bear his Mark. They ceased their activities after his disappearance. Many have been in prison for 16 years. But some escaped it and it allowed this mental to return. Malfoy's father is one of them. Snape too, but Dumbledore thinks he sided with us. Harry is sure he's faking.

Hermione hesitates for a moment before adding in a small voice:

« He believes Draco is one too. He might have seen the Mark on his arm. »

Nora shrugs the implicit warning, resuming her potion assignment where she left it. So that is what she saw on Draco's arm. Hermione is intrigued by her friend's lack of reaction. Is she hiding something? She noticed Nora's attraction for the boy in question and would so much like to warn her. He is not a good person. The memory of all his mockery has left many scars on the witch's ego. Yet, she shuts down her fears. Something in them is similar, much more deeper than the boy's supremacist ideas or his Pure lineage. A glint in their eyes, cold and determined, which terrifies her.

Leaning on her parchment, Nora notices the tension in her neighbor's shoulders. She should have reacted otherwise. Now Hermione is suspicious. Discreetly biting her lip, she searches for a subject to distract her from her suspicions. She scribbles the first idea that comes to her mind.

And what is their cause?

« They believe wizards are superior to muggles, that they should become their slaves. In fact, they want to put Purebloods in power to enslave the world. » The young Muggleborn vociferates. « They consider it's their blood right. It's disgusting. »

Nora simply nods, satisfied to see Hermione plunging back in her essay, grumbling against the idiocy of some.

So Draco is on the bad guys' side ? Nora discreetly smiles. Many might think the same of her. Yet all she wants is to survive. And she suspects it is the same for him. Who could blame them ? People do not choose their family.

Since the first day, each time she passes Barnabas painting, she slows down. Often, the door appears in the opposite wall and Draco steps out, as overwhelmed and desperate as the first time. She does not know what he is doing, but she is sorry for him, always smiling to encourage him a little.