Chapter 24 : The Puppet

But why did not they get out of here when it was still time ? This thought bounces in Draco's mind. He should not have agreed to follow Nora when Ginny's cry died. He should have taken her with him, far from this madness. Why did they go down ? To meet the horror of corpses spread out in the Great Hall ? To see the survivors' desperate looks ? The only thing holding him back is that cold hand in his. It is the girl's pale face by his side, so determined to move forward between the dead.

Unlike him, Nora did not cross the fights, sheltered by the Necromancer. She has to ingest the remains, the sequelae of an evil older than her birth, affecting humans and spirits : hunger for power. The collapsed walls, the ripped pictures and the scent of blood mixed with dust. The deads spin around her, accuse her, and awaken the banshee. With each step down, she feels the Necromancer struggling a little more to muzzle her instincts. As powerful as He is, the number of corpses is too large. A purring exudes from the girl's throat as her face changes, oscillates between the features of the mourner and the witch. With each cadaver met, Nora's sight focus on colors only she can see, the color of souls. The familiar cold of Death makes her shiver. Her Mother is not far away, forcing the spirits out of their body to harass her.

Draco, blind to this reality, holds back a groan as Nora's hand grips his. He can no longer be silent when, at the corner of a corridor, they land on the remains of two second-year wizards. The pressure on his fingers is too strong. Eyebrows frowning in pain, he turns to the girl, ready to blame her. Nora's tear-ravaged face silences him. He understands. She sees more. Much more.

Two sparks reaped far too early, accusing her. This is what she endures. Their reproaches fill her ears so bad she did not hear Draco's complaint. Frozen to the bone, she dreadfully goes through the Great Hall's doors. In the lot, she recognizes Fred's face, twisted with anger. "How dare you show yourself here ?" It's all your fault. If you had obeyed Her as you should, we would be alive. You're just a parasite ! Gangrene for this world ! Go away ! Disappear ! Gut-wretched by guilt, she does the only thing that comes to her mind : run. Without hesitating a single second, she rushes towards the Great Doors. And stops, halted by a heap of bereaved wizards.

"Harry Potter is dead !"

Quivering, she does not feel Draco's hand closing over hers when he catches her. Nor the grin of Voldemort who radiates in his triumph.

"From now on, you will place your trust in me."

The mage lingers for a second longer than necessary on Nora, a frightfully satisfied smile on his lips.

"Harry Potter is dead ! And the time has come to decide : join us or die."

Could it be more clear ? The message is directly addressed to the girl. Yet, the latter remains apathetic. Her inner struggle prevents her from concentrating, from noticing the increasing glances on her. A whisper flies over the crowd : "Nora. She's alive. Death Eater. Traitor ! She's with Malfoy. I thought he killed her. "

"Draco !"

Lucius' voice halted the rumor, bringing everyone's attention back to the Death Eater and his son.

"Draco, come on." His mother adds gently.

Narcissa wants to focus on her child but her eyes flutters on the teenage girl. She has nothing left of this strong girl, breathing confidence in her powers, whom she met a few months earlier. Her mind is lost. Narcissa bite her tongue for pushing her son to find her. She hopes he does not show obstinacy, that he understands her error. Nora de Clancy is no more. It is only an empty body doomed to become the Dark Lord's doll.

Caught off guard, the young wizard does not know what to do. His gaze flickers between her mother and Nora. How could he choose ? Because to follow one means to lose the other. Fortunately, the invisible world chooses for him. While all heads are turned to Draco struggling with his dilemma, Nora did not take her eyes off Voldemort. Or rather, the silhouette overhanging him. Her ebony cape covers the courtyard with a veil of darkness. Her hands hold tight to the pull-toy the mage became. Time stops when finally She speaks.