Chapter 4 : Your duty

Nora jumps into the night, her body covered with a thin layer of cold sweat. She feels it. Her Mother is nearby. The harrowing Cry rises in her throat. She yearns to rush out of her room and warn everyone. But the Vow throbs in her hand. She's stuck until her voice dies, until Death takes a life. She quivers with anger and sadness in front of the sealed door. How could she warn him ? She hits, claws the canvas in despair. Tears overflow from her eyes. Loss, pain and mourning will be her companions tonight. Suddenly, silence reaps her vocal cords.

He is dead.

Braving Draco's warning, she storms out of her room. The unrest in the castle is far from her concern. She must go to the foot of the Astronomy Tower. There he is. She felt the emerald lightning stabbing him at full force and the call of gravity. Fear, withdrawal, hope. Especially hope for better days. The relief of a pain. The happiness of finally being able to find his sister, Ariana.

The old man's body rests in the damp grass, his legs forming a strange angle. She is not trying to hold back her sobs. It is her duty as a banshee to be the mourner, but for once, she is truly sincere. Dumbledore moved heaven and earth to find and save her. He offered her a roof, the security and comfort of a home. For that, she promises to offer him the peace his soul thirsts for. Indifferent to the surrounding agitation, a hoarse sound builds up in her throat, like a purr. When her mouth opens to release the ancestral requiem, a malicious laughter cuts Nora in her tracks. Reality hits her with all its might. She then notices the panicked students rushing on her, shouts, exclamations, tears and in the distance, this evil laugh.

Her gaze suddenly meets Draco's gray eyes, close to Hagrid's hut. They are terrified to see her there, repentant and calling for help, all at the same time. They turn away as abruptly as they turned on her when Snape pushes him forward.

« Coward ! He trusted you ! »

Harry's voice rises in the dark, trembling with rage.

« Fight me ! » He yells, brandishing his wand.

A lightning bolt rushes toward the professor who easily deflects it. Nora does not hear his answer to the boy's exhortations. All she sees is a vicious woman walking towards them with a determined step. The laughter could only come from her. Nora reads her intentions before she is even within reach of Harry. She rushes over to him. She felt only one End, the old man's one. She will not let this madwoman thwart her Mother's plans.

"The Dark Lord will reward me !" Bellatrix exclaims, passing Snape.

She points her wand at Harry with an evil smile and demented eyes :

« Avada Kedavra ! »

Nora jumps forward, stands between the two opponents. The green flash plants its deathly roots in her chest, sucking up what is left of her life. She closes her eyes, ready to welcome her Sovereign: Death. She finally goes home. Her only regret but also last memory will be the affliction she witnesses striking down on Draco's face.

« What are you looking for here ? »

« Peace. Tranquility. I am so tired. »

« Your time has not yet arrived, you know that. »

« What ? No ! Don't send me back there. I beg you. »

« Your duty is not over. »

« Why me ? Please. Choose someone else. Let me go. Let me come home. »

« Enough! You owe me obedience, banshee. Do not forget it. Go back to where you come from and complete your task. »