Chapter 25 : Redemption

There was no cry of victory. Just a sigh of relief. People didn't realize right away. That will come later. When the dead are buried, the castle rebuilt, and life has resumed its course. For now, they look at each other, surprised to still be alive, they kiss, exchange tight handshakes, cry. Cry a lot. Nora has hidden herself in a corner of the Great Hall, not entirely sure she belongs there. She observes. The Weasley family is gathered around Fred's body. Harry joined them after paying his respects to a young couple. Nora had heard of them. They were active members of the Order of the Phoenix. Elsewhere in the room, other families are in mourning. Other brothers. Other mothers. Other friends. And the souls of the deceased cry with them. They deserve rest.

"I heard you helped kill Nagini." Harry's voice interrupts Nora's morbid contemplation.

"I just saved my skin. It's lucky Neville happened to be there." She grumbles, shrugging.

"We both know that's not true. Hermione told me you wanted to leave."

"Is that all she told you?"

"No..." Harry hesitates. "She told me about the... Pact."

"That doesn't surprise me. At least you know why I can't stay."

"I didn't dare to believe it."

"Big mistake." murmurs Nora with a half-smile. "And people will want revenge. Voldemort may be gone but not his followers. There will be a real witch hunt, and I don't want to end up in Azkaban."

"I could... speak on your behalf. I mean, you helped us kill Voldemort, and Ginny told me what happened this year. I didn't understand everything, but she mentioned restraint and punishment. Snape would have altered his memories, but since he's dead, it all came back to him. I didn't follow everything, but clearly, you weren't on the Death Eaters' side. Even if you bear the Mark."

"Would you do that?"

"Yes. Dumbledore wouldn't have wanted you to end up in prison."

Nora nods thoughtfully. What does she risk by accepting the help of the Survivor? He doesn't do it out of friendship, clearly. Out of compassion? Personal justice? A sick need for recognition? This last thought brings a smile to the girl's face. Something typical that Draco would say... I hope he's okay... He must be at the manor, with his parents, waiting for destiny.

"I don't believe I deserve your mercy, Harry, but I know someone who might need it."

"Who?"

"Draco."

"Malfoy? No way!"

"Because he's a Death Eater or because he's been your lifelong enemy?" Nora challenges him.

"He's a coward, that's all. He's the one who let Bellatrix into the castle last year. And he was part of Greyback's Snatchers team. They're the ones who captured us. Hermione got tortured because of him."

"Harry..."

"And Dobby died!"

"Harry..."

"We almost burned in the Room of Requirement because of his idiotic gorillas!"

"Stop it!" The words snapped sharply in the air. The duo receives a few annoyed looks from grieving families. Resuming in a calmer yet still angry voice, Nora whispers urgently:

"You can't blame someone for their inaction and thank another when you're ignorant of the truth. What happened to Draco this year? What did he experience? Do you know? Do you have any idea? Because I was there. At least at the beginning. And it wasn't pretty. Yet, he didn't hesitate for a second to put himself in danger to save his family and probably to save your skin. In all that you've told me, when did he harm you? By throwing his wand at you after your little deathplay? But because he was raised in medieval beliefs and because you two have despised each other since the first year, you refuse him the forgiveness that you're willing to give me. Even though you barely know me? But I've made mistakes too. I also took the Dark Mark to protect myself... "