Chapter 6 : Invitation and mascarade

The light cascades between the trees, brushes Nora's white skin as she lies in the middle of the sprouting roots and fresh shoots. The sun warms her with its burning rays, giving her the feeling of being alive. Each blink of eyes is a reminder of the emerald lightning piercing her, the shock in Draco's eyes and after ...

Go back to where you come from...

A shudder in the grass brings her back from those painful memories. She opens a lazy eye, pretty sure it is a curious creature. With luck, it might be a unicorn even if she is more likely to face a Flobberworm. The centaur's golden robe makes her violently jump. Yet, she was cautious not to go too far into the woods. She even concealed the sound of her steps and her smell. The jaw tightened, she remains as still as possible, hoping to go unnoticed. Useless hope when she notices Kynon staring at her naked body without the slightest modesty. His curiosity is clear. Briskly grabbing her clothes, the girl shies away from the creature's piercing look.

« Enjoy what you see ? »

« I was right, you ARE a banshee ! » The centaur blurts out, alluding to the engravings he had the time to spot and paying little attention to the creature's sarcasm.

« No kiddin ? » she replied flatly.

« Were this people you knew ? There's not a lot. »

Silence hovers as she gets dressed. She doesn't like to talk about it.

« My father, my aunt, a man whose name I never knew and Dumbledore. »

« Jupiter and Orion predicted the old man's death. He was a good person, but I am glad a banshee guided his soul. He would not have found the way alone. »

« He also knew he was going to die. I felt it. » She whispers more for her than for Kynon. « In fact, I have the feeling he had planned everything. There was a lot of hope in him, a lot of relief too... »

Nora stealthily wipes away a tear the centaur pretends not to see. The hoarse voice, she changes the subject :

« Why are you here ? It's not your territory. »

« It's not yours either. » Kynon replies dryly.

« That's not what I meant. Why aren't you with your herd ? You could come across a dangerous beast. I heard that there were Acromentules in this forest. »

« We are not a "herd". »

« Your troop, legion, colony ? » Nora rolls her eyes.

« My colony is in the mountain for the mating season. And you ARE a dangerous beast. »

A sharp reply in her mouth, Nora does not answer, interrupted by a ball of white feather which dashes on her. Hedwig has difficulty to land on her shoulder, exhausted by her journey. It takes a little time before she hands a letter to her living perch. The girl unrolls the scroll, worried about Harry's response. He must have been pressing for his owl to be so tired. But it's clearly not the message she expected.

« Ah ! I am invited to a wedding. »

« Ew ! I want to puck just imagining so many banshees gathered. »

Nora glares at the hilarious centaur. She clicks her tongue, annoyed, and dashes between the trees. Kynon, instead of staying behind as she wishes, follows her closely. His laughter has dried up and the silence of the woods reigns. As they arrive within sight of the castle, the centaur speaks again :

« Who was it ? »

« Sorry ? »

« The man you didn't know. You must have known him to bury his soul. »