Chaptre 15 : Merry Christmas

« You're sure you don't want to come to the Burrow ? Mom would be delighted. Fred and George as well ».

« Thanks Ginny, but I'd rather stay here. »

The December snow quickly swept away the fall rain, heralding the inevitable arrival of Christmas holidays. Undoubtedly, the castle's gloomy atmosphere will have pushed most of the students to return home because the station is overflowing. Ginny tries one last time to convince Nora to come with her. Their relationship never regained the same spark as in July. The young Gryffindor does not accept the Dark Mark on her friend's arm. She understands the reasons that led her to accept it. Yet, a day will come Voldemort's decisions will throw them on opposite sides. Both know full well they will not falter to fight each other to defend what is dear to them.

At the other end of the platform, Nora notices Draco's silhouette. She quickly greets Ginny to catch up with the boy before he gets on the train.

« You're leaving without a goodbye ? » She throws at him.

« You don't come ? »

« No, I prefer to stay. It's not like I have a family to celebrate Christmas, anyway. »

Realizing the bitterness of her words, she mischievously adds :

« But maybe the Carrows will invite me to their family party. I wonder what gift I should give them. »

« I hope you thought about my gift before theirs. »

« Ah, but my friendship is the best gift ever. »

« Only friendship ? »

Draco purses his lips. The words evaded his lips. They carefully avoided this subject over the past few weeks. Approaching it would have opened the door to a multitude of questions neither of them wants to answer. These unspoken words made their relationship more reserved, shy, awkward. All attempts to warm it up ended in an uncomfortable silence like the one spreading.

« Well... » Draco swing on his feet. « See you soon. »

« Yes, you too. »

« It promises to be fun with a dark mage around. » He gibbered as he got on the train.

As the door slams, Nora throws herself forward.

« Draco ! »

The boy sticks his head out the window, full of hope.

« You're coming with us after all ? »

« What ? No ! »

He frowns at her obvious tone.

« No, I wanted to tell you to be careful. Please. Don't get too close to the Dark Lord. »

« I didn't mean to, if you want to know. »

« Draco, if... if he reads your mind or if you suspect it happened... please let me know. »

« Why ? So you can get away in time ? » The boy spits haughtily.

« It would be difficult with the Mark. But maybe I could... help you ? »

The young man does not quite know how to take this last sentence. In doubt, he nods to thank her and waves when the train sets off.

Nora dawdles back to the now almost empty castle. She never really celebrated Christmas, but the one to come promises to be particularly bleak. Maybe a trip to Hogsmeade... The memories of her last visit discourage her immediately. Crescentia has given no sign of life since, but the risk is far too great.

As she passes the Great Gate, she bumps into the Carrows. Their faces are tinged with hostility. They hoped to take advantage of these holidays to try new torture techniques on the few students still present.