Chapter 9 : The taunt

Her meeting with Draco left a bitter taste on her tongue. This is not how Nora had dreamed their reunion. The truth is, she never considered seeing him again one day. It was easier to tell herself he would never return to school after Dumbledore's murder and he would believe her dead forever. Stupid mistake ! She should have thought about it. She should have expected their meeting as soon as Voldemort took power, as soon as she inhaled his perfume in this seedy alley. Truth is : Nora was too scared to contemplate the revulsion she would inspire him if Snape told the truth. Which he surprisingly did not.

The three next weeks, she furiously paced the Burrow, rethinking and replaying the scene in her head. What a relief for the Weasleys when she decides to return to Hogwarts the day before the start of school year.

Barely out of the chimney, nostalgia bites Nora right in the heart. A layer of dust already covers the small rattling objects invading Dumbledore's office. Previous office... Odd, Snape did not settle here. Coincidence or magic, she will never know, but a sudden inspiration draws her to the office. A thick grimoire thrones there, as if it was waiting for her. The title, engraved in runes, could translate to "The magic of the Bean Sì". Nora can not get over it. This book teaches runic magic. Without the slightest hesitation, she takes it with her, deciding it will be her legacy from the old wizard. Too curious to wait, she skims the pages while walking. But she is suddenly interrupted when she hits an obstacle. In front of her, a man and a woman beam at her with an evil grin.

« We were in a hurry to come back ? You are one day early, my little one. »

« What are we going to do with you ? »

« I really want to try the dungeon chains. What do you think, Alecto ? »

« We could hang her in front of the Great Door, to greet the Mudbloods. But you have to swear to scream very loud. »

The girl still has not opened her mouth, searching in her memory who these two weirdos might be. She has no recollections of meeting them last year.

« Alecto. Amycus. »

Snape's voice growls behind her as a hand grasps her shoulder.

« I'm dealing with this brainless. Go back to your business. »

« Headmaster. »

The irony oozes in this last word, but the wizard remains adamant. He pulls Nora into his office in the dungeons. As soon as the door slams, he yells :

« What are you doing here ? »

« Where do you want me to go ? » The girl fights back.

« Obviously not here. The Dark Lord is after you. »

« I thought he was chasing Harry. »

« He has enough followers to chase more than one person at a time. Especially when one throws herself between his claws. Do you think your little comedy in June went unnoticed ? Voldemort knows you're Armand de Clancy's daughter. And that you survived the Death Spell. »

« What do you suggest, dear Headmaster ? »

« Hide. At least until he disappears. »

Nora suddenly understands the man is not what he claims to be. He does not wish his master's success. On the contrary, he seems determined to cause his end. She never imagined he might wish to help her. However, she cannot follow his advice.

« Impossible. Crescentia is much more threatening than your Voldemort. I prefer to end up in his hands than the claws of a megalomaniac banshee in search of recognition. »

« Crescentia... »

« You know, the Seolta who slaughtered an entire village in a "frenzy of blood". » Nora cuts sharply.