Chapter 6

January 2017 | N O W | Trust In You
Lori's Diner

"...and I can't believe he just ghosted me like this."

Despite the forewarning that I'd given her when it came to the vibes that I'd picked up from Yosef when she'd first brought him over to meet me, I was here for her, listening to her vent. I mean, this is exactly what big sisters were for, right? Not to rub it in her face or tell her that I'd told her so. I was supposed to sit right here and listen to her heart tear while she guzzled down iced tea and vamped her problems with Yosef away. I couldn't judge her. Not at a time like this. Not at any time, ever.

She sniffled, trying to keep her emotions under control as she wiped the tears that excessively fell from her eyes and onto her blouse. I reached into my bag and grabbed an unused pack of Kleenex and handed them over to her.

"Thank you." She said as she'd taken the pack into her hands.

"So, what are you going to do?" I asked her, just curious to know.

After a year of their relationship, Monice and Yosef moved in with each other. The house wasn't in their budget, but they made it work for them. Only thing now is that Yosef actually packed up and left her while she was at work without a say. Didn't even bother texting her and informing her that he'd taken off.

I just never wanted to imagine what that hurt must feel like for her. He didn't even bother leaving a note behind.

"I don't know. I don't have a car, I don't have enough money, and I honestly don't have the willpower to do anything, Val. He's taken everything but the furniture. Our entire savings...he took that too." She sobbed, dabbing underneath her eyes to keep the tears from falling down her face.

I shake my head in disbelief that Yosef could pull a stunt such as this one. I mean, I always kind of figured that he was an asshole due to the vibes I'd picked up on, but I never would've thought he'd be on this level of pretentiousness. I was appalled and just at a loss for words. Telling her that everything was going to be okay would be the wrong thing to say mainly because I knew that everything wasn't going to be okay.

From discussions we've had before, they'd come up with a lot of plans that they were supposed to put in motion for the new year and to come home from work just to find that everything you've planned was gone, it was horrifying. Monice planned her entire life around Yosef and to now have nothing, it was senseless. But, it was her life and she was living it. I just knew that she was making a mistake from the beginning. No one in their right mind could tell her that, though. She just knew that Yosef was going to be everything she'd imagined. I was actually starting to think so, myself.

"Have you at least tried reaching out to him?" I asked her.

"I tried through Facebook Messenger, but he just looks at the messages and doesn't even give me a response. It's like he's watching me suffer happily. Like, who does that?" She whined, sniffling. "I tried calling his phone and he won't even answer. It's like he just forgot all about me and our plans. It's like he never had any true intentions on ever attempting to spend the rest of his life with me."

"Monice, I honestly don't know what to say." I admit.

"To be honest, Val, I don't expect for you to say anything but 'I told you so'."

As much as I wanted to say that, I wasn't even going to fix my mouth to say such a thing at this moment. She was in love with him and I knew that she was.

One thing about my little sister is that when she was with someone, she was focused on that one person. No one else mattered. She was so loyal to every man she got with and it just made me question why every man she'd ever invested her time in always ended up hurting her. Despite many misfortunes, anyone would be lucky to have Monice as their girl. She did everything a man could imagine. Sometimes, I sat back and thought about the past and I did actually realize why Charleston did what he'd done.