Chapter 5

Previously:

"Sorry, I don't... I can't afford that, sorry." Alex smiled apologetically, willing for the earth to come up and swallow him whole. This was yet another establishment that he could never set foot in again, Alex thought. He was just about to make a break for it when -

"I've got it. Can I also add a hot chocolate to the order?"

*   *   *

A loud and slightly domineering voice spoke before Alex could move. He felt himself being shoved aside and watched as a person handed money to the cashier. The woman, obviously confused, looked between Alex and the person. Alex looked too. It was Ashton. This had to be a joke - an elaborate prank of some sort.

"O..kay," she sent a loaded smiled to Ashton, her gaze analytical. "You're paying for the both of you then?"

Ashton scowled at the woman and turned to look at Alex. His eyes glinted dangerously, and Alex swallowed.

"You, again? Of course you were the one holding up the line." He smirked before softening his expression slightly. "Go sit down. I'll meet you at a table."

Alex wasted no time, nodding and quickly finding a table, feeling like an obedient dog. He gasped as he felt a warm drink being shoved in his direction. Wrapping his fingers around it, Alex enjoyed the heat as it spread through his hands. Suddenly remembering where he was and what had just happened, he looked up. Steel eyes met Alex's brown ones. Ashton was watching him. 

"Are you stalking me or something?" Alex asked before he could stop himself.

Ashton's scowl deepened. "Don't flatter yourself, Winters."

Alex's breath hitched as he noticed the aggressive look in the other's eyes, and he looked back down to his drink. It was tall, frothy and still hot. Alex wanted to resist, but without conscious thought, the coffee was in his hand and the first milky sip was creeping over his taste-buds. Alex sighed despite himself, and after only a few minutes, he found himself bathing in the kick of the caffeine. He looked up, watching as Ashton silently sipped at his hot chocolate like it was a great luxury. He looked relaxed, as if savoring both the drink and the moment.

"Why hot chocolate? I sort of took you as a coffee guy." Alex brought his hand to his mouth and kicked himself for breaking the silence. The relaxed look in Ashton's eyes was instantly replaced with hostility, and he smirked, taking a prolonged sip.

"Why not? It's sweet, warm; better that bitter thing you've got there." The voice was unexpected. It was low, with an agreeable trace of huskiness and a hint of more intelligence than his reputation would suggest. The easy tone of his voice surprised Alex, and he couldn't help but think the words sounded strangely melodic. They were sweet but venomous; like cupcakes sprinkled with poison.

"What brings you to the coffee shop anyway?" Alex wanted to hear him speak again.

Ashton shrugged and took his time before answering. "This is my family business." 

Alex was shocked. This quaint, endearing place belonged to Ashton's family? He couldn't see it.

"Wow. It's nice." Alex fumbled for words, his eyes wide. Ashton shrugged again, taking a sip of his drink. Knowing that Ashton would offer no ongoing conversation on his own, Alex began again. "So, you work here then?" 

"When I have too." Ashton huffed.

The conversation drew to a close, and Alex drummed his fingers on the table. Should he leave? Why was Ashton telling him about his family life anyway? And why did he still want to know mroe?

"Well, finish up - school starts in five minutes." Ashton chugged the remainder of his drink and stood up, grabbing his bag. That was quick. "Oh, and - don't mention this to any of your little friends." The aggressive glint was back in his eyes as if someone had flicked a switch. "I'd rather not have anyone know my family runs this sorry joint. I'd never hear the end of it."

*   *   *

By the time Alex stepped into the school, he'd still barely been able to wrap his head around what just happened over the past few days: 

1: Ashton Spears had driven him home. Voluntarily. 

2: Ashton Spears had brought him coffee. 

He'd gone from hardly speaking two words to the guy to having conversations with him in the local cafe. All in two days. It was almost too much for Alex to process.

Alex shook himself from his thoughts as he noticed the noise; or more specifically, the lack of noise. The hallway was empty. Had the bell already gone? Alex must've been too wrapped up in his thoughts to notice. Realizing that, Alex quickly checked his timetable and headed for his first class, German, the new sound being his own footfalls echoing from the poster-clad walls. It was his first German class of the year, and being late was not the impression Alex wanted to give. 

Alex opened the slightly corroded door, and scanned the bored faces in the room. The teacher was yet to arrive - thank God - so Alex found that he was able to take a seat without being noticed. He sank into the nearest seat, letting out a sigh of relief when he noticed that Ashton wasn't in the class. That would be the one thing with the power to make this class even worse, if possible. The teacher arrived shortly, and within moments Alex found himself struggling to stay awake. Something about this particular teacher's monotone voice lulled him into sleep, and Alex pinched himself to stay alert.

In an attempt to kill time, he held his phone below the desk at gazed at the screen. The unknown number had texted him back.

'Your mum gave me your number. Apparently, you're meant to be staying with my Aunt and me over the weekend, so we thought it'd be best if you had someone to contact in case we need to arrange times."

Ugh. Through all of the chaos, Alex completely forgot about the argument he had with his mum that morning. So this was the person he was meant to stay with?

"right. so... todays wednesday right? ill see you on saturday then - my mum'll give me the adress"

Alex fought the urge to pinch the bridge of his nose. As the minutes of the lesson passed, the ceaseless buzzing of the classroom and the unlimited amount of energy the students contained increased. Why was everyone so loud today? Alex needed to think. 

"Sir?" Alex raised his hand, "Can I go to the bathroom please?"

Maybe some fresh air would clear his thoughts. The teacher nodded, Alex scooped up his bag and slipped out the door. There was no way he was going back to that chaotic classroom. Rounding the corner, Alex stepped into the closest bathroom. The chill of the room seemed to grip at Alex's bones, and he walked in front of the mirror. At least the coolness of the room somewhat jolted his sleepy senses awake. 

Alex absentmindedly gazed at his reflection. The light in the bathroom was bright and sterile, lacking even a trace of warmth. The imperfections on his skin shone like a beacon, and Alex splashed cool water on his face. Once. Twice. Finally, he felt more awake. 

He decided that he might as well go and wait in front of his next classroom, at least then he wouldn't be late. Just as he turned to leave, however, he collided with something. Something tall, firm and... warm?

He looked up. It was Ashton.