Chapter 12

Ashton's POV:

"Here, let me buy your food, Ashton. My treat," said the tall brunette waiting next to him. He was currently in line at the Canteen and wanted nothing more than to go about his business without interference. The girl smiled seductively and Ashton felt bile rise in his throat.

"No, I've got it," he muttered hastily and quickly rushed to his table.

Ashton sighed deeply to himself. It had been a very boring Monday. Almost half the school were away on various activities, leaving the halls desolate and vacant of people.

Despite the lack of anything entertaining occurring, everything had run smoothly - almost too smoothly, and Ashton was prepared. Prepared for something to go horribly wrong.

It was a stupid thought, yes, but it was one that Ashton couldn't seem to shake. He checked his timetable, disappointed to see that his next few subjects were all mentally demanding and boring. He wished that he'd chosen more engaging subjects - maybe hospitality - and regretted not persuading his Uncle and Auntie to let him.

"Hey, you eating that?" One of his friends gestured to the food on the tray, a sheepish expression in his eyes. Ashton passed it over, a prickle of foreboding at the back of his head.

"Yeah, sure." Suddenly an idea popped into Ashton's mind. "Wait - I'll let you have it, but only if you give someone a message for me..."

* * *

It was finally the last period of the day, and Ashton walked grimly to the center of the gymnasium. A group of his friends crowded around him, talking aimlessly over the coach's instructions about today's activity. Luckily, Ashton kept his ears open, and when he heard the coach mention boxing, they perked up.

The teacher had already taken the liberty of splitting the class up into pairs, and Ashton eagerly eyed the list. He hoped it would be someone good - fit, but not as agile as he. He wanted a challenge. Ashton's stomach dropped, however, when he saw the pairings. His opponent was John Williams, a fellow classmate of his. Although Ashton struggled to admit it, there was little difference between John and Ashton physically. They were equal in almost every area, and for that reason, they hated each other.

"Are you ready?" His opponent asked with a smirk and a flash of excitement in his eyes.

Ashton gazed bitterly at his the other and followed him towards the closest mat. It was a rhetorical question of course, but Ashton still felt obliged to answer, if not only to reassure himself.

"Obviously," he muttered.

The energy of his oncoming fight suddenly washed over Ashton like a wave, and he found himself fully immersed with adrenaline. Although it was only a regular school activity with no spectators, Ashton felt ready to play. He was pumped.

He nodded to his classmate, readying himself to begin.

The fight proceeded swiftly, and after five minutes had passed, Ashton was feeling the effects of the fight. He inconspicuously clutched at his burning side and watched as John leaned against the wooden pillar with a face of utter nonchalance, as if he were merely waiting for a bus on a spring day. He didn't appear to be tired at all, his body was clearly too muscular for that, and it was just as relaxed as his face. But Ashton could tell it was all a facade. Ashton felt his stomach turn to lead. John was almost smiling - smiling as if something good were about to happen. The world fell through Ashton's feet. Good for John was likely bad for him. Very bad.

Suddenly, John threw his body weight behind his fist and edged it closer to Ashton's face. Before he could react, it hit his jaw with force. Blood pooled in Ashton's mouth as he gagged. He stumbled away for a brief second to catch his breath before turning back at the other, eyes narrowed in anger and shock.

"What the hell!" Ashton was furious. "You're not meant to actually hit me - we're in class, you moron, not a real match!"

John smirked and lashed out again. Pain erupted from the point of impact, and all Ashton saw was black.

* * *

Alex had a relatively relaxed, easy day. Well, that was before he was approached by a huge, intimidating senior. That spelled trouble, and Alex sped up his pace down the hall, not even looking up.

"Hi, are you Alex?" He said, looking at him with a resigned expression.

"Uh, yeah. Why?" Alex swallowed but continued walking.

"Oh good!" He quickened his pace to and a frustrated expression crossed his face. "I've been looking for you for, like, the entire afternoon." He relaxed slightly, and he visibly sighed in relief.

"Totally not worth it." He muttered bitterly to himself.

Alex paused in his steps, confused. "You're looking for me?"

The person blinked. "Oh! Well, I'm not looking for you. Ashton is." He explained quickly.

Alex nodded, less confused but even more worried. What had he done this time?

The bell rang signaling that school was over, and the senior jumped.

"Oh shit! I've got to run - but Ashton wants you to meet him at his car after school. I guess that's now, then." The senior briefly explained, and ran off down the hall, eager to get home himself.

Alex scoffed. Where the hell did Ashton even park? Alex took his time collecting his belongings from his locker, all the while racking his brain on what to do. He finally decided to call Ashton.

Ashton picked up on the third ring. "What do you want?" He seemed annoyed, and Alex rolled his eyes.

"Hey, don't get mad at me!" Alex said through gritted teeth. "Your friend told me that you wanted to meet after school."

"Oh, right!" Ashton spoke as if in a daze. "Um, well I'll meet you at your locker then."

He hung up suddenly, and Alex rolled his eyes. Did Ashton seriously think that he'd do everything he asked without thought?

Despite himself, Alex waited for what seemed like an eternity before he heard footsteps trail down the hall. It had to be Ashton. He turned, and when he looked up, he did a double take.

"What the hell happened to you?"