Chapter 20

They ended up going to Ashton's place - of course, going home in the state Alex was in was completely out of the question. 

"Where do you want to sleep - the couch or my bed?" Ashton asked as he led the other through the doorway.

"Whichever. I honestly couldn't care less."

Alex felt himself being guided into a completely unfamiliar room. The scatted mess of semi-dirty clothing coating the floor implied that it was a teen's room, obviously Ashton's. Unthinkingly he collapsed onto a bed in the center of the room with an exhausted sigh, already beginning to doze off.

"Alex, hold on, at least take off your shoes and jacket first," Ashton said, sitting beside him and unzipping his coat. Alex groaned reluctantly and forced himself into a sitting position, his mind and body, by this point, in completely different places. A feeling of total adrenaline gripped him as an idea occurred to him.

"If you wanted to see me naked all you have to do is ask." He said, his voice unexpectedly clear and coherent, and raspier than usual. Ashton's hand paused suddenly, a strange expression crossing his face. Alex leaned back into the pillows again, as if nothing had happened. But he thoroughly enjoyed the blush, which was intense enough to be visible even in the dim light, that spread on Ashton's cheeks.

"You're drunk." The other said softly, dismissing his statement as Alex reached down and undid his shoes. He smirked and leaned forward, his face now dangerously close to Ashton's.

"And you're so warm," Alex rested his forehead sleepily on the other's shoulder and, draping his arms around his lower body. He sighed deeply, his shoulders unfolding as he relaxed his entire body. Ashton bit down on his bottom lip gently and removed his arms from around him.

"Alex lay down, you need some sleep." Ashton insisted, his expression tight, wary. Alex's smiled faded, his expression grew deep. His eyes stared intently back at Ashton, examining him; surveying him. Ashton's eyes traveled down to his lips; slowly he reached forward and pushed away loose strands of his hair.

Alex bit his lip just a little as he watched the person in front. He let his eyes rise to Ashton's shoulders, broad and inviting, his type. For a moment, the situation dawned on Alex, the severity of his actions overpowering his drunk-induced stupor. He was attracted to Ashton, this much was clear. No matter the circumstances, he'd never been like this around anyone else, least of all any of the girls he had dated in middle school.

Suddenly, Alex noticed a change in Ashton's previously wary expression. He leaned forward, causing all thoughts in Alex's mind to come to a complete stop.

The kiss came out of nowhere. One minute Alex was over the other side of the bed undoing his shoes, the next he was kissing Ashton, his hand clasped gently into the back of his hair, pressing in softly.

He felt a hot breath on his neck, then the tender brush of lips. Hands curled tightly into Ashton's mess of hair, Alex breathed softly, thinking that if Ashton realized who he was kissing, he would stop. Alex knew Ashton would leave marks he didn't want, but he didn't want to stop the feeling of the other's lips against his skin.

After a few seconds, Ashton broke away, his expression worried yet soft. "Sorry - I probably shouldn't have done that." But the look on his face told Alex everything, there wasn't the outrage there should have been, Ashton enjoyed that too. They laid on the bed together, each too caught up in their thoughts to speak.

Did that mean he had feelings for him as well?

* * *

Alex woke before he even realized he'd fallen asleep. When he first opened his eyes, the world was a blur, and random images seemed to float aimlessly around in the pool of his thoughts, as though they were being blown about viciously by a hurricane. Feeling the presence of a warm body next to him, he stayed still. His head thumped like a metronome, and the previous night was almost a complete blur. The light in the room told him that it was already morning, yet Alex turned over, willing himself to drift into a deep sleep.

A tap on his shoulder momentarily brought Alex back to the outside world, but after a second he was once again lost. Oh my God. Alex paled as the memories from the previous night came back in full force. He didn't want to wake up. How could he look Ashton in the eye? Looking around the room, Alex was relieved to note that Ashton had already gotten up without Alex noticing.

A few moments later, however, he heard the sounds of the door opening, and Ashton walked in. Alex closed his eyes, pretending to sleep. He could feel Ashton accessing him. The whole world simply felt low resolution, a bad quality movie. Confusion blossomed in Alex's heart and he knew that sooner or later he would need to wake up. To stare reality in the face. But for now, he laid down against the bed and retreated into wallowing blackness...

"Alex." Alex was woken again by Ashton's voice, which had a harsh edge to it. "You need to wake up, we have school in half an hour."

Alex startled awake, leaping from the covers. "What? I'm not going today."

Ashton examined him for a moment, a flicker of an unrecognizable emotion passing briefly through his eyes, which were clouded with worry. "You have to. My auntie and uncle are going to force you, I think."

"What?"Alex repeated, feeling like a broken record player. They knew he had stayed the night? "Won't they be suspicious that we, like, slept in the same bed or..."

"They already know." Ashton deadpanned, amusement slightly colouring his expression.

Alex was confused. "Know what, that we -"

"Boys!" A knock sounded on the door, causing the two to jump. "Breakfast is ready - are you coming?"

"Yes, auntie." Ashton responded, glancing at Alex before exiting the room. Great. Now he had to have breakfast with them?

Alex quickly threw on his clothes from the previous night and awkwardly shuffled into the hall. By the time he mustered up the courage to make it into the living room, the Blake's had already set the table. Various types of break toppings were stalled out, as well as eggs and bacon. Alex sat down at the closest seat, making sure that he was a healthy distance away from Ashton.

"Big night last night, boys?" Ashton's uncle asked, his eyes crinkled in amusement. Alex cringed, trying to think of something to say.

"Something like that.." Ashton stumbled a reply, the tips of his ears reddening.

It was only when Alex finished eating that it occurred to him that he needed clean clothes to wear to school. "Oh!" He exclaimed, jumping from his seat, relieved to have an excuse to leave. "Well, I've got to hurry home before school starts. I left my stuff there."

"Maybe Ashton could drive you. I'm sure he won't mind."

"No!" Alex interrupted more forcefully than intended. He felt Ashton's eyes boring into the side of his head, and took a moment to calm himself. "No, I'll just walk. It's not far."

Alex excused himself and exited the house as quickly as possible. He was running down the stairs when his phone buzzed. He had at least 20 missed calls from his parents, and groaned. They would definitely be waiting for him at home.

Just great.