Chapter 11

Is it sad that I find myself planning more books that I can actually write at one time?
____________________________________

       Add had just found Ara's hairpin when she had been ripped away from him. He also thought it to be highly annoying that he and Ara were even in their current situation. They couldn't afford to get caught by the Hamel military. Once they were in their custody, they'd be stuck there until a party of Red Knights came by to transport them to Velder where most of the Red Knight's prisoners were and they wouldn't be escaping from there very easily.

        Not only that but it would take forever and there was a high possibility that the two of them would be separated, likely not seeing each other again. Ara wouldn't make it on her own. Add couldn't let her be sent to foreign places without him there to keep her safe. Ryu Jin had tasked him with that responsibility and Add had taken it seriously especially since Ara's own mother had disowned her. He had to get them both safely out of Hamel even if it meant taking risks.

        He had to make a very dangerous bet and according to his calculations and judgement, his plan had a fifty percent chance of succeeding, leaving him with a fifty percent chance of failing and losing Ara to a cannon. "I won't be repeating myself," Helputt warned as he reminded Add of the threat on Ara's life by pulling her towards the cannon again. She was visibly frightened and stared at Add with fear. Eun was likely unsure of how to help Ara out of the situation too which was something Add was counting on.

        Add slowly stood up with Ara's hairpin in hand and nasod weapons rising. Helputt's expression remained hidden by the helmet that he wore so Add couldn't guess what his thoughts were on Add's homemade weapon or his failure to comply. "Let her go," Add said as he carefully watched Helputt, purposefully avoiding Ara's gaze just in case he were to fail. He didn't exactly want his last image of her to be a fearful and blaming gaze of worry.

        "If you continue to resist, I'm sure you know what will happen. You and your accomplice have violated Hamel's law and attempted to murder a general. You two are also suspected to be enemies. If you are truly innocent then I suggest you simply surrender so that matters can be set strait," Helputt said. Add didn't believe him even for a second. He knew the process that those accused of crimes had to go through and if there was even one witness, no matter how crooked they were, belonging to the Hamel military, Add and Ara's words would be overruled.

        It wasn't as if they'd have been willing to listen anyway. Their story wasn't exactly believable. "I know what you're planning to do...but you wouldn't actually do that now would you? Killing really isn't your thing," Add said, attempting to keep what he figured was Helputt's gaze. Ara's fear changed into shock and her look clearly said "are you crazy?!" but Add didn't pay her any mind. He didn't want her reactions to his actions to change his mind since they surely had the power to do so if even for a moment.

        "Child, this is not a game. If you truly care what happens to your comrade, you will comply," Helputt said, adding aggression to his voice. "I know this isn't a game and I do care what happens to her which is why I'm telling you to let her go. Just hear me out. You've got things mixed up here and harming an innocent like her would likely haunt your conscious," Add reasoned more to convince them both rather than just Helputt.

        Helputt's grip on the cannon shifted causing Ara to yelp and for a moment, Add really did think about stopping his little plan. Despite Ara's yelp though, he remained still and showed no sign of weakness. "Just let her go," Add said as he held out his hand intending for Ara to take it once she was freed. There was silence for a bit and the sound of the mages making their way to them almost made Add panic but he managed to keep himself composed.