LPP Saturday

Troy Posted this today .

Awww. I bet he was subconscious about his deep voice.

From Billboard:
Chris Moon—who, at his Moon Sound Studios in Minneapolis, discovered Prince when he was recording with his early band Champagne—found out that the unsigned prodigy had some serious projection issues during his budding solo sessions. "It was time to drop the vocals on a couple songs we had worked up," says Moon, who was initially impressed by Prince as a multi-instrumentalist. "I really hadn't heard him sing, but I assumed he had a good voice. We start recording, and I see him singing, but the meters aren't moving. Then I walk into the studio, and there he is singing—I mean, his lips are moving—but I really can't hear him. So I walk right up to him, and he's barely audible. I say, 'Hey man, you got to sing a little louder!'"
.
The co-writer of Prince's 1978 debut single ("Soft and Wet") came up with an unorthodox way to get Prince to overcome his vocal inhibitions. "Eventually," Moon says, "I arrive at this idea of turning all the lights off in the studio, put a pillow on the studio floor, and I said, 'Lay down, put your head on the pillow.' I covered him up under a blanket and made a little bed for him in the middle of the studio...Over the course of quite a bit of time, I coaxed this voice out of him."